yamaha bbn4 III.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bailstric, Sep 10, 2001.

1. bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    how come no ever talks about a yamaha bass ive got a bbn4 III. are they that crappy. my teahcer is an extreamly talented musician and he said the bass i got is great. but then agian im only a begginer.....
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    We do talk about Yamaha. See the "search" button up there? Write Yamaha in the box and click. You'll encounter a lot of threads there with the word "Yamaha" in it.

I think that most of us here at TB agree that Yamaha make very solidly built products. If you like them or just think they're so-so, well, it's personal.

I do hope, no, I can clearly see that you're a beginner when it comes to spelling as well. ;)

BTW, the bass in my avatar is a TRB-5.
  3. I got a yamaha, and i like it, it's one with a short body, i like it.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got a TRB6P. I used to go on and on about it, incessantly :rolleyes:
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is getting dangerously close to being moved to Basses.

bailstric, welcome to Talkbass:).

If you will do a search on Yamaha, you will find many good things said about their basses, ranging from the least expensive to the most expensive.
  6. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Nothing wrong with Yamahas at all. The TRB and RBX series are very nice basses for the money. A lot of pros use Yamahas including John Pattitucci, Gary Sheehan, John Myung, Nathan East...
  7. Hi Bailstric and welcome to Talk Bass.

I very nearly got the BB4NIII. I still wish I'd given it more time when @ the store. There's a solid-colour red one out now and it looks great.

Generally I think Yamahas are good value for money.

Yeh. Should have bought one.....

8. bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    cool Rockin Jon i got a natural one i didnt see ne red ones. oh and oysterman i no i suck at spelling u dont need to point that out :D
  9. i've tried the yamaha john patitucci syg and thought that it was an awesome bass but i didn't think that it was worth the 2,000 plus dollars that they were asking for.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Prophetic words indeed.

11. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    I own a bbn4 III fretless.It is a light bass,which I like.What I dislike about it is that ,like other Yamaha bolt ons,you do not have full access to all 24 frets.My hands are small and that makes the problem worse.And only recently I found out that the spacing at tha bridge is 20 mm compared to the standard 19 mm!No wonder the strings seemed further apart!The web site doesn't mention this,which I thought it should.Sounds OK,though.
  12. bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    yeah i totally agree CJK I have alot of trouble trying to reach the higher frets
  13. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Can we write a petition to these bass companies?There are more than a few bolt ons out there which don't have good access to the highest frets.I know you can use your right hand fingers to tap high up,but I think that still defeats the purpose of having more frets.If they give you a 24 fret neck,make sure that your fingers can reach all of them!Otherwise make them neck throughs!Or sell them to people who don't play beyond the 12th fret!:D
  14. I have gotten rid of my G&L2500, and replaced it with a BBN5II, and I love it. I have replaced the passive electronics with a Seymour Duncan preamp, and it rocks. My band-mates tell me it's the best sounding bass I've had, and I've had a few. It's light, has the wide string spacing (which is hard to find on a 5), and is very well built. The neck to body joint is tight as, the tuners are upper model Gotohs, not cheap ones, the finish is perfect, as is the fret-work. Apart from the L2500, I've had a Stingray 5, a Fender Jazz Am. std 5, a Soundgear 5, and my Tobias 6, and I can say the BBN5 is my pick of all of them.
  15. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho

Mar 20, 2001
    I got my Bbn4fIII yesterday and I think it´s superb for the price I payed for it ($249)... I haven´t got anything to complain about it...
  16. I play a Yamaha TRB5II. I smile everytime I play.

No need to look at another.

Welcome to TalkBass.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It would cost a lot more to have a better cutaway and smoother heel, and would cost even more to make the bass a neck through.

You can't get these types of things on a good sounding bass in this price range.

You can get a decently constructed neck through for a little more, but the electronics will immediately need to be replaced, so you wind up spending twice as much for a bass that sounds as good as the Yamaha does stock.

To get all of those features in one bass, you have to pay over $1000.
  18. borisentwistle

Mar 6, 2013
    i own many basses and two of them are yamaha's.yamaha rbx270 from 2002 i cant even describe how good it sounds it's rated 4.1 from 5,whit pj pickups configuration and the other is yamaha bb3000 fretless from 1979.let me tell ya those two basses i would never sold them even do i bought rbx for 450 euros(then they where more expensive becouse mine is built in japan and now are made in china)and the bb3000 was a gift from a ex girlfriend.so yamaha makes top class basses believe me yours it's not crapy bass
  19. ...he might have changed basses once or twice since he posted 12 years ago...;)