1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YAMAHA BBN4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Camel_spit, Nov 13, 2001.

1. does anyone have a Yamaha BBN4 bass? I am thinking of getting one, it will be my first bass coz I have been borrowing one for a while. I am about intermediate level and I was wondering if someone who has this bass could tell me what it's like and whether its good.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I have BBN4 fretless, and yep, it's a good bass for the money.

3. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I have the fretless BBN4F and I like it very much. If I had my time again, I wouldn't consider any other new bass for the money spent (or even a little more money spent) but with my (6 month) wiser head on, I may have looked for a different 2nd hand bass.

Pros:
    I think the tone is lovely and rounded and quite versatile. The way the whole thing is made appears sturdy and reliable. It is a good weight but not too heavy and perfectly balanced on the strap. A beautiful piece of wood for the body. The tone control is a gradual change and doesn't weaken the tone too much when turned down.

Cons:
    I went for the plain wood finish, the varnish appears a little soft though, and there are finger marks in the finish after only 6 months of having it. I imagine if you "slap and pop" the finish could look quite battered.

All the best in your decision!

4. Camel, I have a BB5NII, and haven't stopped raving about it since I bought it in June. I've played the 4 too, and if you want a nice growly Jazz type sound, this is the bass to get. I don't know how Yamaha does it for the price. Can I persuade you to try the 5? The neck's only a little wider.

Good Luck whatever you buy.
    Mike J.