Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBN4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wicked mr happy, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Yamaha BBN4 any good? im gonna start playin bass and in the market for one and saw that www.samash.com is sellin BBN4's for $200.

Also, can (or should) a beginner start fretless? how about with 5 strings?

thanks

2. Being the proud owner of a BBG4 ( which is in fact the active version of the BBN4 ) i can only judge of the playability and not of the sound.

the playability is very nice. the neck is slick and thin. personally i think the playability is pretty similar to the playability of a mim J-bass, but the finish is a bit better imho.

In difference to the mim J-bass tho, the yamaha has a very thick bridge, whick helps to improve the sound significantly.

for 200 bucks, i'd say go for it ! yamaha basses are real cheap, but still very high quality.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    $200, you say?

*thinks about what better bass there might be for $200 new*

Buy it! :D

A beginner can start fretted or fretless, with any number of strings. It might take a while longer to really get going on a fretless, after all you must be careful where you place your fingers. But it is rewarding.

4. Wicked, I 've played that bass and it's a good buy at $350.00. --- For $200.00 it's a steal! It's equal at least to a MIM Fender; I own both. ;)

$200.00? Don't delay, this sounds like a deal that will disappear fast.

Mike J.

5. it's fretless, do yuou think that would be ok for a beginner?

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ray Brown started on fretless... Heck, so did Mingus :D

-robert

7. the fretless ones were upped to $375 oinly the fretted black-finishes are $200

8. if you like black, go for it :)

9. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I don't know if you guys noticed,but the string spacing at the bridge is 20 mm,1 mm longer than the standard 19 mm(3/4 inch).To me this feels awkward,especially when you use light gauge strings.In fact,I dislike the BBN4 because of this,and that poor access to the highest frets.

But it sounds (relatively) good.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    CJY, 1 mm at the bridge disturbs you that much?!

Heck, I didn't know the J-bass's and P-bass's widths were different at the nut before I read it here. I also didn't notice the supposed chunkiness of the P neck... I thought they felt about the same. I did notice that my Cirrus is 35" and my other basses are 34" scale, but I didn't think it affected playability by much, if at all.

Suppose I'm the only one who don't care for such tiny measurements. :D

11. Wicked Mr, for $200, this is a deal that's not going to come along everyday. You can get decent used gear for that price if you look long enough, but, a brand new Yamaha for two bills? I'd jump on it. Also, I didn't notice the first part of your question about learning on fretless or a 5 string. MHA would be to start on a fretted 4. I have a fretless and a 5 string, but, I feel most comfortable on a 4. I'd suggest starting on a 4, and as you get experience and opinions, you can spread out "as you like it."*
    Just my $.02

Mike J.
    * Shakespeare anyone? :D

12. tm3

tm3

Oct 10, 2001
    north carolina
    any comments on how the bbg4s compares to the bbn4? i just read a glowing review on epinions.

thanks!