1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BBN5 on eBay - Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonfatmatt, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Having failed miserable at Warwicks I'm looking for a new 5 string, mostly something that isn't too expensive but offers some kick. I came across this number trolling eBay tonight...was wondering if TB could get me some late night advice on whether to pull the trigger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-BBN5-Bas...ryZ64400QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wouldn't consider it if it weren't for the pickups in it, and the fact that I had a Yamaha BB415 that I really liked. The other option I'm looking at is a Yamaha TRB1005 - I'd really prefer 35" scale on anything, and the wider the string spacing the better (which is funny, I don't slap but go figure) but I don't want to spend over $500 on it, and will consider other brands. Anyway...let me know what y'all think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Yamaha-BB-6...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem - Saw that too...

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    They play beautifully. I have a BBN5 (lefty) with the big passive soapbars and I love the bass, except for the pickups which are pretty bad.

I had an Aquilar OBP-3 pre amp installed and although, an improvement, the pickups really need to be changed

I believe the single coils on the wone you are looking at are much better pups and would likely make the bass sound a lot better.

i always liked the feel of the neck on these basses and the build quality is very good for a lower end Yamaha.

I dont think you could go wrong at all for the price with either one. The passive one with barts looks really appealing!

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I had a BBG5 for awhile. It had the cheesy photoflame style finish but it was a nice bass. I agree, the pickups aren't that great but that's easy to fix.
    575656f9.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I had a BB404, which is very similar to the BBN5. They are great basses for the money, as CB56 said, the pickups can be easily swapped if they don't work for you.:)

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I am not a Yamaha fan by any stretch but the first one might sound like a cross between a Lakland 55-01 and 55-02.

6. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    there is nothing wrong with Yamaha, I would say yay!