Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBN5A

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 14, 2001.

1. I like the TRB5-II a lot--great neck, awesome tone, above-average B, etc.

How's the BBN5A? It seems a bit more traditional and might have a punchier tone due to the alder body (as opposed to the TRB's ash one). Does anyone own one, or has anyone ever tried one?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, yes, at the local GC!

Not bad at all. Can't compare it to A TRB-5, sorry, but yeah, I played me one of them thar basses. It was pretty decent! I liked the tone, it was really middle of the road...which is a good thing. Versatile is a better word I guess. It had good lows, mids and highs. And the tone...well, the tone was a Yamaha. The GK rig I tried it on put more flavor in in than the bass did (tried it through a few amps. In each case, the amp flavored it quite a bit). That of course, could be a good thing, bad thing, or just a thing with that one bass. BUT it did have a some punch to it. Either way, I thought it was worth the money they were asking for it...I give it a green light (aka good). If you want one, go for it man!

3. So, you'd say that it runs the gamut of tones? Through an Eden rig, would it be versatile enough to handle jazz, punk, ska, and funk?

Also, how was the B? Was it at all floppy? I'm used to the 35" scale of my Dean and I've never played a 34" bass with a really good B, not even a $1500 Ibanez SR3005 or a $1700 Warwick FNA 5.

4. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000