Yamaha BBP Constructive Criticism

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meursault42, Jun 24, 2023.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I honestly think these basses could benefit from a little more stability in the neck, as they don't seem to like high tension strings. Since they've gone with a painted headstock, they might as well just have a one-piece maple neck. The mahogany stringers don't add anything in my opinion, as the instruments are already naturally on the dark side of the spectrum, and you can't see them unless you're looking at the back of the neck.

2. The 5-pc neck on my two Yamahas (BB435/TRBX505) are a lot more stable than the graphite-reinforced necks on my two American Fenders.

skycruiser likes this.
  3. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    That doesn't necessarily surprise me. I'd expect Fender to be much less selective with their materials.

I just don't see the point in introducing a softer wood like mahogany, especially when you've got a rosewood fingerboard.

4. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Does anyone feel that the YGD pickups on these are really dark?

To be clear, I'm not a hater. I own the 4-string and the 5-string and think they sound great. But I find that the brighter end of the spectrum (which I almost never use anyway) is just not in those pickups, at all.

5. Deep

Deep Supporting Member

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I have a BBP34 and 35. I find the necks extremely stable. I use GHS Boomers on mine and they are definitely not low tension strings. Great basses.