1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BBP34 vs Fender Precision Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMage, Oct 26, 2018.

1. BassMage

BassMage

Oct 25, 2018
    Hello guys,

I'm a newbie here and I need to listen what you guys have to say about this two basses. I just have money to one of them And this choice is very difficult to me.

2. I would buy the BB234 (as opposed to the BBP34 you listed) and save the $1200. I prefer Yamaha's to Fender for everything except impressing traditionalists who want to see a Fender. I have the BB415 and prefer it to Fenders except when I need to have a certain look. I have a real Fender for when I need to do that.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Lionel Albert likes this.
  3. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Not all fenders cost $1200 or more...

@BassMage
    If you can, you should try both. They each may feel or sound different to you

Everything else you are going to get here is just an opinion, one that is not your's

4. $1200 less than the model Yamaha he picked :)

BB234 vs. BBP34, subtle difference but it jumps from $300 to $1500. I'll make that more obvious in the other post.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    What kind of music do you like to play?
    Slap, fingers, tap, pick, all of the above?
    Who are some of your influences and bass tones you want to emulate?
    Do you like using different tones or are you a set-it-and-forget-it player?
    Have you played each and, if you have, which one "speaks to you"/feels good in your hands?

The Yamaha is a P/J pickup configuration and (unless otherwise stated) the Fender is a single P and knowing the answers to the above will aid everyone with suggestions

mrb327 likes this.
  6. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    my last Fender cost $474, not $1500

7. BassMage

BassMage

Oct 25, 2018
    Well, I'm looking for the instrument oficial my life, u know?

8. BassMage

BassMage

Oct 25, 2018
    1- heavy metal.
    2- fingers and tapping.
    3- Steve Harris, Markus Grosskopf and Geezer Butler. But I want something more "Bass". I've been using flatwound strings and the tone of my Bass in 0%, for example.
    4- I never have played in Yamaha because they cant be Found in any Brazilian store.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want try something unique, definitely go with the yamaha bbp34. the bb basses are classic bass guitars in their own right. they do provide a fender-esque sound quality at a much more affordable price.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Get the BBP34 along with Squier CV70P.
    Case close.

nonohmic likes this.
  11. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    #1, buy the bass you're going to look at, pick up and play, no matter what anyone else says. ... Saying that, the bass looks like another copy of a Fender so, to me it's just apples and oranges.

12. I'm a recent Yamaha convert. Got a TRBX505 back in April and now I'm GAS'ing for the BB735.

If I were in your position, I'd look into BB434 as a more affordable alternative.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  13. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Bassmage, your ought to get Steve Harris signature Fender P-bass and let it rip brother!

14. What precision bass model do you have in mind?

I would go with the Yamaha for couple of reasons
    1) PJ -setup - more tonal options
    2) IRA treatment - Some call it bulls*it, I could really tell the difference. These basses resonate really well
    3) Japanese quality is top notch.

CameronJohnson and Mili like this.
  15. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    Buy a used Fender P bass, a pair of RayBans, and never look back. You are the bass player. Keep the groove.

16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Those things are like 14 Lbs.