1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BBP35 P-Bass sound as good/not as good as Mike Lull P5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JZQuantum, Oct 27, 2018.

1. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I'm torn between both of these, I can't try them out before buying. I want an authentic 1970s P bass sound in a modern 5 string bass. Besides the likely superior build quality of the Lull vs. the Yamaha, how do they compare tonally?

Discuss.

Thanks!

2. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    I have not played the Yamaha, but IMHO, it is important to have the right PUs (Alnico-type, which both the Yamaha and the Lull have).
    The Lull 5-strings mostly have 35 scale, which might be a point to consider.

3. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    How is your Lull configured?... the basic build specs.

4. I seriously doubt you’ll feel a difference in build quality between the Yamaha and the Lull. Even Yamaha’s lower end BBs are incredibly well made.

What you will notice are differences in neck profile, fretboard radius, string spacing (at bridge and nut), scale length and whether the neck has a satin or gloss finish. But since you can’t try before you buy, these factors are a lot more difficult to judge. So I’d suggest you take measurements of the basses you currently own to get an idea of what you like and don’t like. Compare the measurements from your current basses to the measurements on the Yamaha and Lull basses to give you an idea of how they’ll feel.

5. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    That is a smart plan. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I was able to snag a lightly used 2018 midnight blue Yamaha BBP35 from 'verb for half the price of a new one. I could not pass it up.

The seller was motivated to sell to fund a custom bass. So we will see how it goes.

I'm not crazy about the color choices of these basses, but such things do not usually bother me too much. The sound and feel matter more than the color of the body to me.

I am still open to the Lull, but can't swing the funds to have both at the same time.

Nunovsky and CameronJohnson like this.
  6. Amazing - I sure you’re going to love it!

JZQuantum likes this.
  7. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Good call with the Yamaha. They're a very good deal.

JZQuantum likes this.
  8. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Yeah it seems certain basses lose *big* value quickly, and Yamaha is one of them. I think it is not because of the quality of their basses, I think it is just the way the market sees them. I think Peavey is another company known for underrated/underpriced high quality basses

songwriter21 likes this.
  9. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    Unfortunately people who buy with their eyes instead of their hands and their ears would pay more for the Lull, all other things being equal.

CameronJohnson and JZQuantum like this.
  10. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Congrats on the snag.....I think you will love the BB. I really like that they ARE underrated to many, it makes it kind of a secret weapon.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  11. So true!

12. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    For what you'd spend on the Lull you can buy two Yammies and have one strung with rounds and one with flats. :)

CameronJohnson likes this.
  13. JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    A Yam sandwich...tasty. :thumbsup:

chadhargis likes this.