Yamaha BB's - shielded or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kesslari, Dec 28, 2007.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I took the back off my BB G5 yesterday and... um... it looks to me like it's not even shielded! I always thought of that as a basic construction feature, at least in a moderate quality electric instrument.
    BB owners: Am I correct - is this bass not shielded? Or am I missing something?

2. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I wouldn't be surprised. SHielding is less common that you would expect in many instruments. The more important question though is, does it make noise? Stuff with short runs of wire usually ends up being OK either way. My carvins are shielded and dead quiet. MY P copy isn't, and is also dead quiet. I thought about shielding my new J parts bass, but decided to see if it needed it first. With Nordstrand nosiecancelling pickups and an audere preamp, it is dead quiet unshielded.

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I haven't opened mine up (BB1000MA)...but I definitely get some radio interference in my house...and then get a little buzz when my fingers aren't on the strings otherwise. I believe from these things that they are not shielded...unless you buy an extreme upper-end BB made in Japan. I am going to be shielding mine with some copper tape...both in the control cavity and under the pickups to take that buzz and radio interference away.

4. If you want to go WAY back in time, my first bass was a BB300, bought new in 1990. It was completely unshielded, and remains so today, thought the Alembic pickups/electronics are so dead silent it doesn't matter.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Heh.
    That suckah's shielded now. :D
    Copper foil tape FTW.
    Thanks, Stewmac...

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Budget BB are really well made. Shielding is clearley one of the places where they cut costs. I have BB405 with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz humbuckers, and it sounds incredible! It gets a wonderful modern sound that is great for getting that Fred Hammond sort of tone for Gospel. That said, it has a noticeable hum. I bought shielding paint, but since I don't really have a work space, I will wait until the weather gets warm, and I will start applying that paint to get it quiet.:)

7. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    i have a BB414 and it has shielding paint!

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I needed to say that I was talking about the older BB405/BBN5/GS5 basses.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021