1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BBT 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by angrydad, Oct 14, 2005.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    I've been having a blast with this little unit since I purchased it last week ! I have found great sounds sound for each one of my basses, it even revived my interest in an old fretless I have long since retired. I do notice the hiss other users have described,but,only at certain settings, and, definitely not loud enough to be a problem at gigs...which segues nicely into:
    I'm leaving shortly for a gig. Everything from Allman Bros. to Bill Withers, Staple Singers to Hendrix! I'll be using a passive J- style bass (barts), a Dr.Bass Rx 2x10,and,a Dr.Bass 1x15, both 4 ohm cabs, for a total of 2 ohms.
    Besides holding down the bottom all night, I'll be featured on one Slap Style solo, and one bridge pickup/octave box solo excursion. I'll have a full report tomorrow!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    eager for the report...

3. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    This little head did a great job! I've played this club about a dozen times. There's a nice p.a., with a very good soundman. My rig is solely for stage monitoring so I don't need to be monstrously loud, but I like to feel that push behind me.
    Usually I use 2 Genz Benz LS 1x12t cabs( 8 ohms each) run by a GB 600 head. This set up pushes about 425(?)watts into the 4 ohm load. I never have to run it past 12 o'clock, and I always get a very full, articulate tone.
    When I got to the venue last night, the drummer was already sound checking his kit so I decided to take advantage and set up quickly. I only took in 1 cab, the Dr. Bass 1x15/tweeter. I was up and running in minutes. I used the amp's "tube amp" pre-set" with the treble maxxed ( my strings are about 3 shows old), bass boosted,and the mids cut back ever so slightly. My passive bass has low output, so I had to set the amps input gain rather high...not to the point of clipping, obviously. I ran the master at 12 o'clock. AWESOME!
    My fingerstyle tone was full, supportive, and articulate. The slap tone (without touching a knob) was "Marcus" approved. For the 2 "bridge pickup only" tunes I used the "solid state" pre-set with the lows and high mids boosted:nice!...think the bridge to Jaco's "Come On,Come Over", just with a clearer top end (due in part to the bass's maple fretboard).
    I was definitely impressed that one 4 ohm cab was enough. I never felt I needed to bring in the 2X10. Net week I have a jazz gig (fretless elctric) for which I've dialed in a killer pre-set tone...I can't wait.

4. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    I did not use the amp's direct out. The soundman at this venue prefers his DI boxes (he does a great job so I don't mess with the formula). Also, I had the amp's speaker simulator disengaged.

5. It's a great head.