Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBT 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by angrydad, Oct 14, 2005.

1. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    I've been having a blast with this little unit since I purchased it last week ! I have found great sounds sound for each one of my basses, it even revived my interest in an old fretless I have long since retired. I do notice the hiss other users have described,but,only at certain settings, and, definitely not loud enough to be a problem at gigs...which segues nicely into:
    I'm leaving shortly for a gig. Everything from Allman Bros. to Bill Withers, Staple Singers to Hendrix! I'll be using a passive J- style bass (barts), a Dr.Bass Rx 2x10,and,a Dr.Bass 1x15, both 4 ohm cabs, for a total of 2 ohms.
    Besides holding down the bottom all night, I'll be featured on one Slap Style solo, and one bridge pickup/octave box solo excursion. I'll have a full report tomorrow!

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    eager for the report...

3. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    This little head did a great job! I've played this club about a dozen times. There's a nice p.a., with a very good soundman. My rig is solely for stage monitoring so I don't need to be monstrously loud, but I like to feel that push behind me.
    Usually I use 2 Genz Benz LS 1x12t cabs( 8 ohms each) run by a GB 600 head. This set up pushes about 425(?)watts into the 4 ohm load. I never have to run it past 12 o'clock, and I always get a very full, articulate tone.
    When I got to the venue last night, the drummer was already sound checking his kit so I decided to take advantage and set up quickly. I only took in 1 cab, the Dr. Bass 1x15/tweeter. I was up and running in minutes. I used the amp's "tube amp" pre-set" with the treble maxxed ( my strings are about 3 shows old), bass boosted,and the mids cut back ever so slightly. My passive bass has low output, so I had to set the amps input gain rather high...not to the point of clipping, obviously. I ran the master at 12 o'clock. AWESOME!
    My fingerstyle tone was full, supportive, and articulate. The slap tone (without touching a knob) was "Marcus" approved. For the 2 "bridge pickup only" tunes I used the "solid state" pre-set with the lows and high mids boosted:nice!...think the bridge to Jaco's "Come On,Come Over", just with a clearer top end (due in part to the bass's maple fretboard).
    I was definitely impressed that one 4 ohm cab was enough. I never felt I needed to bring in the 2X10. Net week I have a jazz gig (fretless elctric) for which I've dialed in a killer pre-set tone...I can't wait.

4. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    I did not use the amp's direct out. The soundman at this venue prefers his DI boxes (he does a great job so I don't mess with the formula). Also, I had the amp's speaker simulator disengaged.

5. It's a great head.