Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBT 500H amplifier...any updates?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Panther, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    This amp is very appealing to me, mostly due to the (lack of) weight.

Any updates on this amp in gig situations?

Recommended or not recommended?

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yamaha has a very solid rep in the music industry. It doesn't matter if you play bass, guitar or piano Yamaha is a quality brand.

You get what you pay for. If you buy a $150 bass you get a $150 bass. If you buy a $1600 bass you get a $1600 bass or amp or piano (specifically speaking of Yamaha).

But generally they are not considered the cream of the crop. But I can't afford (at least not new) the cream of the crop, can you?

I have owned many pieces of Yamaha gear through the years (and still do). I recommend them highly. Just don't get screwed by someone because you didn't know the fair market price for something.

And no, I have never used a BBT500H but I would also like to know what others think.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Joe.

3. I have ordered one two days ago. It will arive next week.
    Ordered with 2x10 cab. In summer the will announce their new cabs, 1x15 etc.

4. I tried one in the store: the sound was amazing, except for a lot of hiss & hum. I tried some other amps in thee same shelve to compare with, but they sounded OK. It seems to be some construction problem of the Yamaha. Strange, though, that there is only one other user that has posted this same problem on this forum.

BTW, if it wasn't for the hiss & hum, I would have bought it right away.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    ya I'm still looking very closely at the yamaha and the hiss, especially with the "matched" cabs made to be used with the amp, is sometimes loud for me, but I usually shut tweeters off so I'm trying not to let it bother me.

I also try my sony 7506 headphones on the amp and the hiss was not too bad because the circuit is connected, I think, just after the initial gain knob. I did not hear any tone or compression changes in the headphone. the speaker output stays on with the head phones in. but you can turn it down with the final output knob.

6. Do you know that Yamaha will present their new cabs to this head in Frankfurt?
    The only one I know is gonna come is the 1x15 cab, but there will come more.

7. BtW, Hiss & Huss?!
    I couldn't notice anything of that when I tried it out. Now I have ordered it too, will come here to sweden any day this week.
    Now you scares me :(

8. i tried one the other day with the 410 cabinet....it is rather nice...but you'll have to spend an hour or so when you buy it to set up all your presets, and at a gig id reccomend fiddling around with it before starting playing.....

i liked it...im considering upgrading to a yamaha rig myself.....either yamaha or nemesis (nemesis 210 combo with 15" cab, Yamaha head with yamaha 410)

9. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi,

Are there any updates??? Reviews, insights, ...

It's been a while since this head and cabs are available and still I can't get much informations on the web!!!

Thank you all!!

Best Regards.

10. the demo one which ive tried has just been sent back for the Third time to get fixed

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    semborg,

The hiss I heard was not very strong, I'm very picky. the hiss I heard was listening up close with some of the treble and 'upper mid' controls turned up a bit while using the yamaha 110 matched cab. Playing at a normal distance with other instruments might be fine

in general I'm very impressed with the sound of the amp WITH the cabs that were matched with it. however, trying to use my one aguilar gs112 with the amp sounded a bit lifeless and unpunchy. looking back I'm thinking I should have played more with the compression and tone controls....maybe some other day.

12. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi, and thanks for the replies....

Mcrelly, do you think that the 110 cab is OK?? I was probably interested in the head plus the 110 cab as my main setup, but I am worried that the 10'' speaker does not have enough bottom nor "balls"... What do you (or anybody else) think...

Once again thank you very much...

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have NOT used the yamaha 110s outside the store. I do not own any of the equipment we've been talking about. I've played the head and 110 in the store for about 2hours total over several visits.

I think the head and 110 would make a great bedroom or livingroom setup. two 110s with the head would probably be loud enough for average basement practice. for on stage I'd try the 410 or a 4 ohm load of your favorite speakers. the 8 ohm load of my one aguilar gs112 sounded lifeless and maybe not loud enough for 100+ db gigs. two gs112s might sound great because the 'load' would allow the amp to run at a higher wattage, but I haven't had two gs112s hooked up to it yet.

14. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Anyone else care to share an experience??

Thanks.

15. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    7 preset sounds are very good and a nice variety
    The last 4 are noisy but they are distortion , fuzz and overdrive. I will reprogram them in the future to cut down on noise.

I keep the input level at the highest setting to get full volume out of the head
    I am running 2 4ohm 12inch Avatar speakers it is loud enough for my band.

I havent bought a midi footpedal for it but I might in the future
    I want a simple one maybe one of the older Yamaha ones with 6 switches on it
    But for now I walk over to the amp and change it by hand in between songs.
    This 5 channel/11 sounds amp was something I had been looking for for a long time . I had been using 3 preamps running through SWR heads before this. This new Yamaha made everything much simpler , lighter , smaller and esier to switch back and forth.

Hmmmmm well is it perfect?
    No , but perfection is something I havent encountered yet
    It is noisy on the overdrive section
    The compression squishes a little to much for my taste

I would prefer it to be 2 or 3 times louder
    But it is heard and many people have commented on the sound

16. With my 2x10 cab I can't get much volume out of it.
    Even if I play with only my drummer, its alittle to low volume.

Therfore I am gonna buy a 4x10. Do you think this will be enough?

Even if a 4x10 is not eneough, I can add the 2x10 to get a 6x10 setup at 500 watts.

17. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    did you buy the 4 ohm 210 cab from yamaha?? if your cab is 8ohms you will definitely struggle to get volume. make sure your speaker load is 4ohms or lower if the amp can handle 2ohms. yes, the webpage says 500w/2ohms, 250/4ohms, and I assume 125w/8ohms

18. I would like to hear what you other guys that OWN this product say about it.

I am using my 2 Cirrus Fretless (One 5, one 6 string).
    I am running the amp in "manual mode" with compressor at 12o clock. Bass at 1o clock low mid at 1o clock and rest is 12.
    I get a very nice living sound.

Before I tweaked it alot. All EQ knobs are swepable, and theres one Fully parametric EQ. (Can set bandwith + swepable).
    But going more flat all the time just got the sound even better.

The Compressor is really nice and programable aswell.

As already been said, I want to hear your opinions, you who OWN the product.

(PS I am using it with 2x10 matching cab, thinking of adding either a 4x10 matching cab or a 2x10 matching cab.)
    Thank you

19. Tommi Jenssen

Tommi Jenssen Guest

Jun 21, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have mine since the beginning of may this year...
    This is the best amp I've ever had... and I've had alot (Ampeg SVT IIpro and V4, Ashdown ABM, SWR Workingman's 4004,...)

I use it with the Yamaha 4x10"... great sound (with all my basses)!!!

No hiss or what so ever!!!

I'm interessted in buying also a 1x15" cab. But the 4x10 is fine already (I play heavy rock and metal).

Read my review on Harmony-central.