Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBT 500H, digital bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-raj, Feb 14, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have the MagicStomp Bass Pedal for use at home. If it sounds as good as that and the power is adequate, then it is killer.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like the idea of it, but I don't like that it takes a 2ohm load to get the full 500 watts out of it. I mean, I understand that they also want you to buy their 4ohm cabs, but still....

Okay, so the idea of 4 1x12 cabs with the head is fun, in theory, but that seems to defeat the whole portability thing.

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah I usually like heads to be at 4ohms to get the optimum watts out of them... But I have been looking for a SS back up head that is light and isn't going to break the bank.

...anybody own or have played thru one on TB?

5. I haven't played it but I know guy that has one. He's the bassist/salesman at the local music store. He has spoken good things about it. He has said that the storing function is handy because he can setup and make his EQ settings and save them. When he plays at that venue all he has to do is pull up those saved settings and play.

We didn't get into the tone quality though. When I see him again I'll ask.

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I like the idea of the EQ-memory function.

When you get a chance, ask him what he thinks about it & what he playing it thru... I'm really thinking about picking one up as a back up.

7. Sorry it took so long.

He advised me that while it has some neat features, In his HO, the tone was nothing special.
    I did not know that it had several presets such as classic, brit, etc.

I got to look at it for a moment and it was relatively small. He took it out of a briefcase where he stores it at. Only weighed a few pounds.

If you would like ot talk to him about it you can call him at :
    Lake Charles Music tele#337-474-0430, ask for Tim Dibartilo. He's the inhouse Bass guy.

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanks man! Actually LCM is one of my dealers and I know Gerald pretty ok... Maybe, I have my rep try it out for me next time he is that shop.

9. Cool deal. Gerald is a good guy and has become a good friend over the past few years.
    They have actually entertained the idea of me working there. They are like a big family.

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I played this amp through some really nice cabs at a local shop not too long ago. Well I am pretty sure its the same amp, unless Yamaha has another one that looks very similar. I think the cabs were Bergantio or whatever that "think inside the box" brand is. Anyway, I thought the thing sounded pretty dull. Tried some presets, dull. Turned the knobs... yawn... I like really Yamaha pro audio gear, but this little amp did nothing for me. YMMV

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    they are great people, I get that Family-vibe from them over the phone... are you still thinking about working there?

12. We had talked about a part-time gig to help out in the tech repair area. I work full time for the local police department but have a background in elec repair.
    We have all been busy following RITA and everybody needs help.
    Be safe.....:cool:

13. I played one a while ago, through a 4x10 with an American Jazz. I found it nicely bassy and defined (set on the 'modern' setting). I think its well worth the money, unfortunately I haven't got that money :(

Bass Pulsar did a 'mini-review' here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184209
    Unfortunately, it's a bit negative. I didn't notice any hiss when I had a play around with it.

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I looked hard at one when I was shopping (I now use a BDDI and Focus SA amp) and was tempted as I wanted light and versitile. The problem was the lack of power.

With my Focus SA I get 400 watts at 8 ohm, 800 watts at 4 ohm and 1,000 at 2 ohm. The BDDI isn't as versitile, but the BDDI and Focus weigh less and take up less room than the Yamaha.

I wanted to like it but couldn't - and I have 2 Yamaha basses and love Yamaha gear. Maybe the next generation will be better.