1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BBT 500H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Billbassoz, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Billbassoz

Billbassoz

Jul 15, 2007
    Hi
    Does anyone own a Yamaha BBT 500H amp head. I've just bought one. I've kept my original 2 hand made 12 inch cabs which are at 4ohms so it runs at 250 Watts. I play in a big band so it has plenty of power for my needs. The head really suits me because I like to use different sounds for DB and EB plus a third sound for slapping and popping. The 11 different sounds and 5 presets gives me plenty to choose from. The biggest challenge is to make sure the presets are all at the same volume. We don't tend to do proper soundchecks in the big band so its largely guesswork and adjusting as I go. Its slowly getting there and I've enjoyed learning to use the EQ functions and the compression functions to really shape and build each sound. I'd be interested to know how other bass players have found it.

2. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    I own a BBT500H. I use it for worship in our church and as backup for gigs with my rock band.

In church we use in-ear monitoring, so I only use the DI-signal of the BBT. The EQs are set all flat, DI is switched pre-eq and the limiter is on. I vary the sound only by toggling the amp models. For that purpose, the BBT is ideal.

In my other band I use an all tube head with which the BBT can not compete.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have one and love it for the most part. I'm just searching for a mod that will allow the fan to run at all times as mine tends to get pretty warm and according to Yamaha, the fan is set to run at a certain temperature!

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My friend has one. It's a nice little head. I was a bit confused by it at first but once we dialed in a nice setting on the Tube emulated model it sunds great.

I have played it through my Avatar B210 Delta cabinet and his 4 X 10 SWR Workingmans cabinet and it did a nice job. He combines his 4 ohm 4 X 10 and a 4 ohm 2 X 10 for the full 500 watts.

The compact size and light weight are amazing.

5. I've got one too and love it... it fits in my m-audio backpack (which was made for their oxygen keyboards) with all of my cables... then i grab one or two of my EA cabs and my bass and i'm off... all in one trip...

I dont really use much of the amp sims though... i pretty much "set it and forget it" i just adjust the master volume if needed...

6. I've been using one for about 3 months now.

Very versatile and tons of useful sound.

Useful EQ and TOP compressor!

The more I use it, the more I like the 'flat' & 'solid' setting.

You can hear slight hiss on some settings, but it's negligible.

About the fan... once I ran it for 8 hours straight output at 3 o'clock, but there was no problem at all.

7. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I have one in the 15" combo format and love it. The combo would not have been my first choice, I would have preferred the head but the Craigslist price was so compelling (<200!!), I grabbed it. The previous owner thought the speaker needed replacement but it doesn't.

I like the presets but the 3 volume knobs are a bit over the top. Strangely I use an 8ohm NEO GK 1x12" extension when I need a bit more and the whole thing works great.

Great amp.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Is the head section not removable??

9. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Yes - head is removable but in the pix I have seen of the head, there is an outer cover which is missing. Thanks for the idea though if I get fed up with the combo, I can just rack it some way or maybe try Yamaha for a sleeve

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh yeah, I didn't think about whether it would have the cover or not!

11. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Had mine goin on 2 years. DI has a little hiss . I use the modern and flat setting mostly. Currently using it in church w/ one of my EA wizzy's mic'd so no DI hiss through the P.A.

12. Billbassoz

Billbassoz

Jul 15, 2007
    Thanks for all your responses. I really started something! I didn't know it came in a combo as well. I was offered the Yamaha 4x10 cab as well but I like my twelves (plus they load well in my car!). My BBT doesn't have any casing just two handles on the sides. I carry it to and from gigs in a tool case which I had lined with foam padding to protect it (the whole thing coming to about $45 Australian). That way the amp stays light but won't get damaged in transit. I use modified Flat for the double bass and modified RnB for the electric as we play a lot of soul classics in the big band and I'm really happy with both sounds. For slapping I use the modern sound which I'm happy with as well. I would love to do something weird like use the metal sounds for my DB during a gig but I don't think it would go down too well!

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wait, you have a head with no casing? Can you take a pic and post it? What we meant by casing is just the covering. No internal components exposed. Unless you're saying your internal components are exposed?

[​IMG]

14. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I love my Yamaha BBT500. My favorite preset is (modified a little) classic, it's got a nice, cutting tone that I like. When I want a nice smooth tone, I go either tube or RnB (both modified a little of course). The only thing I didn't like about the head is that the overdrive sounded cheap, especially when playing at the higher frets. Has anyone found a good overdrive setting with the eq?

Btw, we should start a club for us BBT500 owners. ;)

15. Billbassoz

Billbassoz

Jul 15, 2007
    Sorry my BBT does have the standard casing like the photo you posted but not any added casing which can be attached via brackets provided. I still felt the amp was a bit vulnerable particularly as I have to pack it with all my other gear. That's why I put it in the padded tool case which works great by the way. A BBT club would be excellent as I am interested in finding out as much as I can about them as well as sharing my experiences.

16. applemacintosh

applemacintosh Guest

May 23, 2008
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I've just acquired a BBT500H and haven't yet got a speaker cab for it yet. Question is, can I safely use it as a headphone only amp temporarily? I know some amps require speakers connected due to the 'load' requirement [wonders if this is tube only amps?] so do any owners of BBT500 amps know if the headphone connection mutes the speaker outputs?

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yes you can use as a headphone amp.

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    i love mine, as much as someone can really live a piece of electronic equipment. Does every job I've thrown its way yet. I'd like to see how it drives a fridge cause it held up fairly well with bigger cabs in the past.

I will concede that it probably doesn't hold a candle to tube rigs, for what it can do I still think that the featureset is unparallelled. Too much amp for a home practice when I let myself get carried away, but who's really counting that?

aside from a hissing tweeter (which i don't use) my major complaint is the ratfur and the mediocre cabinet joinery I found when I ripped it all off. 'tis no mesa.

Here's to springing for tolex by the end of the winter.