1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BBT Series?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pete&petelives, Mar 29, 2006.

1. pete&petelives

pete&petelives

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm going to be upgrading from my Genz-Benz combo soon, and I've been looking into a lot of different brands, one of them being Yamaha. I heard these new amps are the first all-digital amps, and that excites/scares me. I wanted to see what others think before I find a Guitar Center that carries them and make the day trip.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    basic summary as far as I understand...good sound, lite, but not loud enough for real loud gigs.

try doing an "ADVACED SEARCH" of amp forum with terms like "yamaha" or "bbt500" in the "topic"...;)

3. pondus

pondus

Mar 28, 2006
    I was going to get the yamaha bbt500 until i discovered the Markbass LM II. At the same price you get an amp that's 6 lbs lighter , way more powerful, and you dont' get all the crap that the yammy has , like distortion and what not.

4. Same price?

I haven't seen a new LMII for under 400USD... if so, please let me know where.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=480819

5. SolidFoundation

SolidFoundation

Apr 7, 2006
    I have two of the BBT110S cabinets and I think they sound amazing. Lightweight with solid lows (yes, I said solid lows from a 110 cab). If the amp is made with the quality of the cabs you won't be disappointed.

6. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I use BBT500 and I like them
    5 channel programmable preamp is worth the price by itself
    2 of them can be biamped

7. jamshid

jamshid

Aug 16, 2006
    i have bbt 500 and bbt110 cab . it has sharp and tube sound but not loud enough as ampeg or swr

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Do a search as there is a large thread discussing this head (search on BBT500H). I can tell you that it's a wonderful head. Some say they can have a little his from the tweeter, but my main cab does not have a tweeter (Berg NV610) and I run the tweeter on my other cab near 0 as I'm not a tweeter guy (I'm am just one of those old school guys that still can't understand why you would need a high pitched tweeter for bass). So I don't hear the hiss.

The head is powerful enough on it's own for most gigs and situations, but when I need a little more, I pair it with my Stewart 1.2 (1200 watts bridged). It's like owning 10 different heads with this baby as the you can truly get SVT, Trace, Acoustic, etc tones from it and save all of your settings. It has the damn best compressor that I've ever used that was built into a head, ha a parametric EQ, built in crossover, etc, etc, etc. EXTREMELY versatile!

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Decided to take the plunge. I just couldn't resist that price, and it delivers what you all say, then I will be quite happy. Going to use the BBT500H + BBT110s for church gigs where I mostly just monitor myself. I ordered a second BBT110s just in case I need that "extra." I figure I can always send it back if I don't like it. I do wish the head was a bit more powerful, so I could use it as a backup to my big rig, but oh well... was considering the carvin B800 instead, but I'll just keep an eye out for a used one of those in a few months heh.

10. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    I've got my BBT 500H and BBT 410 & 210 cabs for more than a year now. It's the best amp I've ever had! (And I had Ampeg, SWR and Ashdown ABM...) Really, there is no other amp right now on the market that fits my needs better... extremely versatile, great sound, light in weight and the cabs are also fenomenal: good sounding (even the 2x10 has a tremendous basstone) and light. Yamaha just makes great gear... I became a fan :smug:

I use it in a quite loud rockband and I never have to turn it up more than 12 o' clock, so it's powerfull enough for me...

But I guess it all depends...

11. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Anybody know if the DI is noisy? I don't care about the tweeter being noisy, but sending noise to the house is kinda lame.

12. TjD

TjD

Jun 15, 2006
    Mechelen, Belgium
    I always use the DI of my BBT during a gig and never had any complaints about it from the soundman... au contraire: one of them came to me and asked me about that strange Yamaha head. He was quite enthousiastic and even wanted to recomend it to the bassplayer in his band...

13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I'm very interested in this head now. I might just pick one up soon. For $400, I don't think there's anything else out there that sounds as powerful, versatile, and portable.

14. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah I really think this is perfect for what I am looking for. Again, wish it were more powerful. Perhaps the Carvin B800 was a better choice at only $50 or so more (plus shipping), but I like the idea of the modeling for use in home recording junk. Very excited to try out those 1x10 cabinets as well.

15. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Hrm. Took my BBT to a different church today, I'm subbing there this Saturday. So, plug it in, sounds great. Plug in the DI to their system and instant noise and radio station reception. Very strange. Could it be a ground loop? Any way to lift ground on the DI on the BBT-500H? I couldn't find a way to do it.

16. Quadzilla

Wow, bummer. The DI on mine is totally clean. Wish I knew the answer to your dilema. :confused:

17. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I don't blame the BBT, I blame their house wiring. I unplugged the DI and stuck it in my Strobostomp and it was even worse. I had to use one of their DI boxes and lift the ground. Just wondering if that is possible with the yamaha.

18. Quadzilla

Not that I'm aware of, but I have two DI boxes that I always keep with me on gigs (both with ground lifts) that I could use if I ran into that situation. I would check the manual. Maybe even try the 1/4" out or the tuner out. You never know....

19. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah I'll try the unbalanced out to their DI on Saturday. I'll have to pick up a nice DI at some point. hrmm. Dunno much about DIs though.

20. Quadzilla

I've personally used my Sansamp BDDI with great success...