1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BBT500 or Kustom Groove 1300HD?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoskiDominik, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Hi folks:)

Right now my setup is Ibanez ATK305 -> Yamaha BBT500 -> Custom 3x12'' 2,66 ohm 750W cab. I'm thinking of selling it and buying a kustom head, due to the fact, that I can't get as clean tone from as when playing through toneport gx and headphones. Do you guys think it's a good idea to change this head?

Peace

2. bump

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    If I understand you correctly, you're asking if the Kustom head will give you more headroom than the Yamaha?

I haven't ever played the Yamaha so take this for what its worth. The Kustom will have a whole lot more power than what you have now. Its probably not quite as powerful as the manufacturer claims, but its still got a lot more than 500 watts at 2 ohms. It isn't a modeling amp though, so its going to be less versatile than what you have if you're looking to get a bunch of really different tones out of it.

I don't have the 1300, but I own the older 1200 and suspect they are pretty similar. The amp is voiced relatively cleanly. It certainly doesn't color your sound as much as an Ampeg SVT 450 (the solid state head), but its a little warmer than a GK in my opinion.

As for whether it'll sound like what your bass sounds like through headphones and a Toneport? Its hard to say. A lot of different things go into how a bass ends up sounding other than the head. The cabinet you're using is at least as important as the head and a bass running direct is going to have a whole different sound than one running through an amp.

As with everything, you should really try it out before you buy. I can tell you that I personally like my Kustom a lot, but that doesn't mean you'll like it much at all.

4. applemacintosh

applemacintosh Guest

May 23, 2008
    Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I've just acquired a BBT500H and haven't yet got a speaker cab for it yet. Question is, can I safely use it as a headphone only amp temporarily? I know some amps require speakers connected due to the 'load' requirement [wonders if this is tube only amps?] so do any owners of BBT500 amps know if the headphone connection mutes the speaker outputs?