1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha BBT500H Digital Head - $399.00 !!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Apr 17, 2006.

1. For those that might be interested, Musiciansfriend is having a Spring Cleaning sale, and this item caught my eye.
    www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=480819

I checked Sam Ash's site, and they're selling it for the same price, but they only have one left.

Does anyone own one?

Tried one?

What's your opinion of them?

Weren't these things $599 just a few months ago?

I really don't need another amp, but 500 watts in an 11 pound package is making me think twice. :cool:

Mike

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think it just means that Yamaha's going to come out with a replacement soon. Yamaha's product cycles are pretty short - they come out with a ton of new stuff each year.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think there overpriced originally for the amount of power, but they can sound good for small to medium gig if you run a 4 or 2ohm load. built in presets and compression and semi parametric eq's.:eek:

4. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    This thing has been tugging at my wallet for the past several days. For the price, it seems worth trying, but for two things:

1 - I'd have to rethink my cab configuration (250W at 4ohm, 125 at 8ohms according to their Customer Support)
    2 - I'm suspecting something more powerful is coming out.

Uggh. What to do.

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I ordered one when they were 1st coming out. I love it. I've done several posts on it if go you back thru my history. I still love it more after having just gotten an Aguilar DB750. Makes me appreciate the light weight, tone versatility, and it can stand on it's own in most places w/o P.A. support.
    I've had it since last year March.

6. I just ordered one, just to try it. For such a low price, why not. So far, about 3 hours playing with it last night, I dig it. Very versitile and can be very clean and very dirty, plus 5 band semi parametric EQ (bass, m-bass, mids, h-mids, highs w/ adjustable freq on each) and one fully parametric EQ (you can set freq 20-20k, set the Q, and the gain for the freq). It come with three EMI clamp filters...I'll have to see if it needs those. Right now I am running it thru my carvin VT210, it has never sounded better, and it seems to be plenty loud...for me. Be sure to read the manual, it can be confusing at first (input, gain, master and output).

I can report back after this weekend, I've got 4 gigs, so I should have a better idea of how it works. I got mine from samedaymusic.com, so I have a 60 day no questions asked return policy. But for the price, it may be worth it just to have it as a back-up.

FYI: most sites will match or beat a price, so ask them to beat the competition.

7. Yeah, please post a report after your gig. :)

As I said, I don't need another amp right now, but as you say, it seems like a pretty good deal if for no other reason than to have lying around as a back-up.

Mike ;)

8. I most certainly will. As for now, I am thinking of keeping it just for back-up reasons. The thing is light and small...my back loves it. But, I can give a more detailed report when I get back from the gigs- sound is one thing, ease of use is another.

9. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I'll probably use mine as my main amp and my DB750 for outdoor gigs only.

10. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    I've been looking at those too. I would really love to actually hear one though.Sound clips anyone?
    B

11. My preliminary findings:

I do not like the presets (in the five memory stores) far to bassy for me, but I like clean and punchcy (think Jaco tone). The "tone models" are ok, but usually too bassy/muddy for me, so I have to cut the bass a bit. I like to be able to really cut thru the onstage mix, I use my amp as an onstage monitor and that's it, I let the PA handle the lows and such, I just need to hear me. The DI is nice, pre, post EQ and you can turn on or off the Limiter on the DI send. But, I have been able to dial in my flavor with relative ease and save it as a preset, so no monkeying around with dials that get bumped in transit (there is a learning curve on this guy-each knob cntrols three things, some are saved in the memory store, some are not-but once you get the hang of it, it's actually simple to use). So far, so good. Very clear on the "flat" setting, "tube" has some nicities to it as well.

Right now I'm running it thru a 2x10.

More after the weekend.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I also just ordered one. Should be here Friday. With my current cabs, I won't be getting the full 500w out of it though but that wasn't my intention. I wanted a nice small compact setup for smaller gigs. Most likely run a 1x12 8ohm cab with it (only getting 125w). At some point I'll buy a 4ohm cab! I'll review it once I gig with it.

13. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    I hope you guys post some soundclips of the amp and some of it's tones. I'm thinking about getting one myself.
    B:hyper:

14. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    A couple of things I'd love some feedback on:

- How's the DI? Is it quiet?

- How's the compression? Is it useful? Does it kill the bass? Is it quiet?

15. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hello from Germany,
    they are much cheaper than before here in Europe too. The reason given is that solder-tin is no longer allowed to contain lead here in Europe and manufacturers are only allowed to sell stuff that contains any lead until the first of July this year.
    I don't know, if this is the real reason, but so I was told by more than one german dealer.

Dirk

16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have a Yamaha Magicstomp EB that I purchased (also on blowout for $109) to use with my home pc for practice and recording. Some of the presets sound real good and even better when I tweak them.

If the BBT500H has the same preamp as what is in the Magicstomp, it is definitely a winner.

My problem is that I either use a single 1x15 8 ohm cab or a single 4 ohm 6X10 cab, so I would only ever be getting half of the amp's full power at most.

17. I do dig the preamp, that's for sure.

Half the watts does not equal half the volume. I think the equation is watts x 10 = 2 x vol...roughly (ten times the watts going into the same speakers, etc, in a perfect world, will equal twice the volume). I know this is an area of dispute and I'm no acoustical engineer, but that's what I was told by one who was dumbing it down for me. If someone else knows better, please correct me. For me the 250W is plenty, but I can understand that for others it may not be. In a few weeks I'll be building an O10 from www.billfitzmaurice.com. I've read and heard that Bill's stuff is more sensitive, so it'll go louder and deeper at lower watts.

I do, however, think they should really rate the BBT500H as a 250W head that can go to 2ohms. That would be more accurate in my mind, but 500 is a bigger number and looks better in ads.

As for the discount, I heard that they are getting rid of the old stock to make way for the new model.

P.S. If my spelling bites, sorry, I'm rushing 'cause I'm at work :)

18. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I agree 100%. Case in point, my Thunderfunk at half power just has to be turned up a bit more to get the sAme perceived volume.

For me, I would sometimes want to use it with my single 8 ohm 1x15 Ampeg Classic cab (this with my TF is loud enough for practice and most gigs). I am not sure what kind of grunt the head will have at 8 ohms. Also, some amps (hello Ampeg B2r) have to be run at their lowest ohm rating (IME) to sound their best.

Still, the price is right and I would take the gamble if I needed another head.