Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BBT500H head & 4x10 cab on Clearance at Musiciansfriend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jtlee, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jtlee

jtlee Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Was looking at this amp months ago and noticed that www.musiciansfriend.com has dropped the price to $399 and the 4x10 is only $299.99, which is cheaper than the 2x10! Even after $69 shipping, it's still cheaper than the Aguilar S series and lighter to boot. Just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone looking for a lightweight rig. The head weights 11 lbs, the cab weights 63 (not bad for a 4x10). I don't have any personal experience with the head/cab, but specs look good.

Head:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=480819

Cab:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Amps?sku=601412

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    My friend who works in a music store said that model is being discontinued. Not sure why, but I kinda hope they might come out with a higher watt model. That amp has a lot of potential, but I thought the price was steep.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Shhh! Don't tell everyone until I get mine . . .

Actually I ordered one of the BBT-500H heads today. 8.5 lbs (11 lbs is the shipping weight, I think), 500W @ 2 Ohms, 5 programmable settings, $399 . . . I sure hope I can make it sound like I want. Heck, the Bose packlite is 250W @ 4 Ohms minimum and runs $399 also -- without the preamp but also smaller and lighter.

There are two places, Zzounds and Sameday Music have the 210s at $250 but the catch is they don't have any in stock. I'm waiting for MF to tell me if they are going to match the price - if so I'll be ordering one of those too. If not I'll be getting one from one of the other retailers when they get them in stock. And if I can't get one then I'll look at converting my 8 Ohm 1x12s to 4 Ohm (swap out the speakers). Or look at Avatar Neo 2x10s at 4Ohm or something similar . . .

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I am tempted to take the plunge-I have a Magicstomp EB Pedal and it sounds great. If this has a similar preamp, I would imagine it is a very good deal.

I wonder how the volume is with a single 8 ohm cab?

5. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach
    I'm wondering if the Yamaha BBT410S 4 x 10 cab is worth looking into. I'm considering this cab because the price is pretty cheap but I have not heard too much about this cab. Any insights of this cab? Input appreciated. Thanks

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  7. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach
    Hey seamonkey any other links for the cabs? Thanks

8. craigb

The good news is MF will match the Zzounds price on the BBT210S. The bad news is they only had one in stock and I bought it :smug:

The head arrives Friday, the cab should arrive Monday or Tuesday (and I have a rehearsal Tues night . . . so it will probably show on Wed).

I'm looking forward to lightening my load. I hope I like 'em.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    craigB, just be patient with the new head. that head seems quite flexible. if you learn to use all the functions correctly it will serve you well.

if I remember right, I really got confused by the multiple "gain" "level" "master" "output" if you don't get these figured out it will seem like you don't have enough power.

10. craigb

Got the head today. 10lbs by the bathroom scale - but it feels like a feather compared to my rack.

Through headphones it sounds very nice to me. The flat sound is like my Cafe Walter headphone amp - the bass made louder. There's lots of fun in the classic/heavy/drive/fuzz tones as well. Tone-wise it sounds like it's going to be good for me.

Now I'm waiting for the BBT210S and need to get it to a couple of rehearsals to figure out if it's going to be loud enough for most things. I think so. I may need to convert one or more of my 1x12s to 4Ohm. I don't mind if I need to slave a power amp for loud gigs as long as it handles all rehearsals and my quiet group on its own.

11. gattigang

gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    VaBeach
    Looking forward in letting us know what you think about the BBT210S. I had planned on getting that cab but I was not able to find any decent reviews. Keep us posted when you received them. Thanks :bassist:

g@ttigang

12. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I've heard the compressor is outstanding in the BBT500H. I think I am going to get one just to have as a backup for that price.

There are some good reviews on Harmony Central.

13. craigb

Got to use the BBT-500H at a rehearsal of my small group tonight. As expected it had absolutely no problems, even through a single 8-Ohm Avatar B112. This group is acoustic guitar, bass, flute/sax/clarinet and congas. We rehearse with me being the only amplified thing so anything is going to work. But it sounded good, the lows were solid (4-string) and I could tell it would have enough oomph to handle pretty much any gig this group is going to do, even with a single 8-Ohm 12.

My first amp was a 135W Genz Benz 1x12 combo so this is pretty much equivalent. And that amp got me through a couple of years of house parties and rehearsals. Then I moved to a 200W GB 1x12 combo and that handled gigs up through 1/2 ballrooms and small clubs. So I'm feeling pretty good that the BT500H is going to handle my needs.

UPS decided my BBT210S needed to go to New Jersey (a less than optimal route when heading from MF to Texas) so it won't be here until Friday. But that's good as I have a rehearsal with the "loud band" on Monday and can take the BBT210S and 2 Avatar B112s and see how they all do.

I did get what sounded like some 60Hz noise through the amp but there was fluorescent light transformer audibly buzzing and I was using a Rumblefish PJ with a single coil J pickup. So I don't blame the amp for the noise (yet - I'll check it out carefully at home this weekend).

So far, so good. I'll see how I like the BBT210S and may just swap out the speaker in my Avatar SB112 to make it 4 Ohm and then be able to go with 1, 2 or 3 1x12s at between 8 and 2 Ohms. Lots of choices there . . .

14. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Anyone else buy one yet? I dig my Magicstomp EB, so I think I would like the BBT500H. I will use it mostly at 8ohms and at 4 ohms now and then. Just wondering if it is going to have enough grunt.

15. craigb

I ended up sending the Yamaha gear back. I'll deal with the easier one first:

BBT210S: It felt heavier than 46lbs to me (or I'm weakening in my old age) and the spring-loaded handles on the sides made it akward to carry and also kept it from standing level on the short sides (the handles stick out farther than the corners). The sound was OK (I'm not much of a cab connoisseur) but I cranked the volume up to max and could stand right next to it and go "Huh, is that all there is?". Unimpressive to me (sonically and loudness-wise, construction was high quality and solid) and not worth the weight penalty at all over my 1x12s.

BBT-500H: Let's start with the good. The tones were excellent IMO. I loved having the variation from flat to fuzz in there and available at the push of a button (or stomp of a switch if you add a midi controller). Once I'd read the manual it was relatively straightforward to deal with (at least as far as a piece of gear using one set of knobs for 3 sets of settings). The weight was great (oh, so light).

If it's so good, why did I send it back?

#1 not enough ooomph. Using the BBT210S cab (and 1 8 Ohm Avatar 1x12) I could turn it up all the way and stand next to it without feeling overwhelmed. By comparison if I did the same thing with a GK-700RBII, a Gibson GB-440 or my BBE Bmax/Carvin DCM-1000 rig with 2 Avatar 1x12s I'm able to get far louder than I'm willing to be next to for any length of time.

This may be as much an indictment of the BBT210S cab (I think I saw somewhere the sensitivity was in the 93-96db range but I can't say where I saw that) as the head. But when tied in with #2 I wasn't willing to go through the exercise of revamping my cab setup (currently 3 8-Ohm 1x12s) to see if the head would get enough loudness to satisfy me.

#2 noise with some basses. With my Rumblefish PJ and G&L L-2000 I was getting some noise and those are my two main basses. My Steinberger Spirit and Fender HMT were both nice and quiet. So I can't say for sure it was the BBT-500Hs fault - but the noise was there both through headphones and cabs, and when I'd run through my Cafe Walter headphone amp instead with exactly the same setup (cable, headphones, bass, location) I wouldn't get the noise. So I don't know if the BBT-500H was amplifying noise that was there all the time (and the Cafe Walter didn't - I doubt that), or the BBT-500H was causing some noise in the susceptible basses (I can't remember but suspect the BBT-500H was off when I'd run the Cafe Walter which was sitting right on top of it) but either way I was getting noise with my 2 main gigging basses with this head. The Yamaha did come with some "cable clamps" (look like ferrites used on some computer equipment) but I didn't use them as I'm not willing to have something like that on my cable (a nice big weight to accidentally swing into something). Some reviews/reports on it also had noise complaints so that made me wary of what was going on.

So the net result was that I wasn't confident that the noise problem could be abated and with the head not having enough oomph without switching to 4Ohm cabs with higher sensitivity, it didn't make sense to keep it.

If Yamaha were to come out with a version with higher wattage (4-500W @ 4 Ohms) that sounded like it (like a GK/Gibson/Thunderfunk with that rating) and didn't sound noisy with my main basses (I don't really know why this was) I'd look at it again. Because the preamp/sounds are great, but the total package didn't quite add up for me.

PS (this is the edit) Oh yeah, I ended up buying FunkyLemz's Thunderfunk 420 - it weighs 1.5X the Yamaha but I know it will get the volume I want out of my current cab setup (since a GB-440 with these cabs was plenty).

16. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I still think I am going to buy one and just use it as a preamp/compressor and run it thru my Peavey DPC-1400X amp. You just can't beat that price for all it does.

Also, maybe buy a small cab and use it like a practice amp.

17. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I got my Magicstomp for $109 from music123.com...it really sounds nice at home. It also has a tuner which is cool (for a lazy guy like me!). I can run it through my Thunderfunk if I really want to use the tones it has.

I was worried about the power on the BBT500H-the TF has all I have ever needed (and it is the TF-420).

Check out a Magictomp EB if you like the tones though.

18. craigb

LoGruvz - If you don't mind a 10.5 lb preamp it will be great for that. And it worked fine for providing "practice amp" type volume (would handle coffee-house type gigs no problem). Just check it carefully for noise in your environment with your basses.

Lync - the Magicstomp is on my list of things to check out when I get the chance. I want to try it and the Zoom B2.1 to see if they can take care of my effects wants. Someday . . .

19. gregandgail

gregandgail

Dec 15, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've been using this head for a couple months now, and I'm completely happy with it. I'm using it with an 8 ohm Avatar 115 and a 4 ohm Avatar 210 neo. Our band plays hard rock with 2 loud guitars, and with my MusicMan SUB I have the master set at about 11 o'clock. Any higher and the guitarist tell me they can't hear themselves!

I use a digitech rp1 as a midi foot controller to switch patches. I have patch 1 set as my main config with the "modern"sound type, patch 2 with the "classic" sound type, patch 3 with the master and low-mid turned up some, and 4 and 5 set for demolition work!

Honestly, I don't see how this amp could not be loud enough. If you get anywhere close to 2 ohms it's pushing between 400 and 500 watts. Maybe the cabs make a big difference, I'm not sure. Either way, this thing (along with Avatar) has made all of my Ampeg stuff a thing of the past...

20. I had a chance to play the head and 210, the cab was awesome, the head wasn't my thing but it was fancy and if it has the tone for you, it would be great to have.