Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BEX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Hey
    Has anyone tried the Billy Sheehan BEX bass from yamaha? I'm liking the classicness of it with billy sheehans touch and awesom new things! What do you think?!? Have a good one! :hyper:
    Thanks
    Troy

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    I play the standard BEX, never tried Billy's model. The standard BEX is quite nice to play. The soapbar pickup is not amazingly versitile, but damn good at what it does. To me its like a P bass without a lot of the punch. Very fat and warm sounding. The acoustic pickup is a nice feature and with the blend knob, you can get some nice tones.

Overall another nice bass from Yamaha

Matt

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The BEX is a pretty rare bass. Matt Bass, did you get yours from Sound Control in Birmingham? I tried one there a couple of years ago.

I've been wanting a more acoustic sound for a while now, so the BEX is on my list to check out in the future.

Whatever happened to the Billy Sheehan BEX model? I can recall seeing it on the Yamaha website as "coming soon" at least 12 months ago, but since then nothing. I certainly haven't seen one in any UK shops.

EDIT: The bass is now on the Yamaha US website. I like the fact that it has active electronics, but am disappointed that it lacks the piezo bridge of the standard BEX.

4. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    No, never been the sound control in Brum. My local music shop had two in, one of which i bought. They had both the orange and blue, i chose blue.

Agreed, it is a pretty rare bass. If you find one and like it, keep a hold of it, chances are you will not see one ever again.

Have fun,

Matt

5. anyone have any pics?

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The standard BEX model:

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK