Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BEX4C

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tulsa8404, Mar 28, 2002.

1. tulsa8404

tulsa8404

Mar 11, 2002
    Tulsa, OK, USA
    Has anyone had any experience with the Yamaha BEX4C hollow-body? I would like to try one out but have not found one locally. Will be in Nashville soon. Any suggestions on best place to try one there?

2. Tulsa, I haven't tried one, but, almost bought one a while ago. They have them at www.musiciansfriend.com but, the only way you can find them is to type in "Yamaha BEX4C" in the search window. I love hollow and semi-hollow body basses, and I think it's a shame that most dealers don't have them in stock, but, that's life. I got so annoyed looking for a dealer that carried the Epiphone Jack Casady bass that I just bought one at MF without ever having head or seen one live. I'm probably one of the biggest advocates of the Jack Casady bass here at TB, and recommend this bass to anyone. The one thing that you might want to think about, if you don't already know, is that the BEX has a non-adjutable acoustic guitar type bridge. This bass is still on my wish list. If you do try or buy one, please post a report on it.

Good luck in your search.
    Mike J.

3. tulsa8404

tulsa8404

Mar 11, 2002
    Tulsa, OK, USA
    Thanks for posting the reply to my question about the Yamaha BEX4C. I talked with our local Yamaha dealer last week and he may be getting one that I can try. I'll post a review if it happens.

What kind of music do you usually play on your Epi JC? I am part of a trio doing original music that we categorize as "contemporary alternative folk/pop." We do a few covers sometimes too (U2, The Samples, Phish, Radiohead, Train). Playing regularly in some local coffeehouses and bookstores (Borders and Barnes&Noble).

I'm thinking a semi-hollow like the BEX or the Epi JC might be able to give me a little more of an acoustic sound to some of the numbers while still keeping it simple and only having to have one guitar (it's a budget thing). I'm using a Fender MIM Jazz right now for everything. Any thoughts?

4. Tulsa, I'm at work right now, but, later on when I get a few free moments I'll give you the low down on the Jack Casady.

Mike J. :cool: