Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BTT 500H???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Does anybody played it?
    How does it compare with an Euphonic Audio?
    Thanks,

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    ...the lack of comments could mean that:
    1.Its a totally unknown product? :rolleyes: ,or
    2.It doesn't deserve anybody's attention? :spit:

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'll go for first... the name doesnt seem any familiar, and I've not tried Yamaha amps and cabs, either.
    Also, take into consideration that most members here live on the North American continent, and its only 8:35 - 7:35 - 6:35 - etc there. Life on TB only begins when its evening over there - or lunchbreak :smug:

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    I'm mainly waiting for comments from our North-American fellowes because the model I asked about isn't yet available in Europe but the Americans must have seen it already as it was presented at this summer's NAMM.
    I must agree with you Frank,I'm not curious at all of ANY other Yamaha's bass amplification but the newer beast looks promising (it's a D-class amp very technologically-similar with a Euphonic Audio).
    Thanks for reply!

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You're welcome :)

So if you are waiting for their replies, then you'll have to wait a bit more ;)

6. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Maybe this will boost you up a little :hyper: :

7. i've seen advertisements for it, but i don't live near any yamaha dealers, so i have no idea if it's in stores yet.

robb.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I thought I would bump this back up top as I would like to see if anyone has checked it out yet.
    Here is what it says about it on SamAsh.com:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yamaha
    BBT500H Digital Bass Guitar Amp Head
    (YBBT500HX)

List Price: $949.99
    Our Guaranteed Lowest Price: $599.99
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As the world’s first all digital bass amp, the BBT 500H offers a total of 11 vintage and modern amplifier sounds, built-in dynamics and amazing tone-shaping capability to suit any style of music in a powerful, compact package.
    Weighing just 8.5 pounds(WOW :eek: ), the BBT 500H delivers 500 Watts of power into 2 ohms (250 Watts into 4 ohms). The 5-band, frequency-variable tone controls, single-band, fully parametric EQ, compressor and programmable effects blend controls are easily accessible from the front panel. The BBT 500H also features a built-in effects loop, MIDI in/out, five user memory locations and a speaker simulator for additional versatility.

Connections include 1/4" line and balanced XLR outputs, two 1/4" speaker outputs, tuner outputs and a headphone jack for practicing. Lightweight, yet roadworthy construction makes the BBT 500H ideal for transporting to practice sessions and gigs.

9. i read a review about it yesterday and it looked promising.
    they had problems about it being so light(not taking it serious!) but could confirm that it was very well built and sounding almost any way you wanted it too.
    about their simulations:
    flat: neutral
    tube:varm,open tone with good bite at the top if played with a pick
    solid:solidstate with mid-cut and soft thick bottom
    R&B:lots of bottom and lo-mid. lots of body but with treble cut
    vintage:a lot like tube but with more mid and sounding something like an old marshall(superbass)
    modern:fat bottom and shimmering treable, great for slap and thoughts go to music man basses.
    classic:rockbass, great with a pick!
    heavy:like classic but with more bottom and more drive
    drive:anything from clean to high-gain
    dist:very aggressive distortion
    fuzz:not so agressive as dist and with more bottom

positive :flexible
    easy to use
    programmable
    light
    the price

negative:no earth lift

10. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Thanks for your replies!
    ...You should,my friend...especially if you move around alot with a rather short cable,you could easily rip the 4-kilos amp off from your box! :D
    Fortunately,I'm the "static type" (read:lazy with the feets ;) )so it's not an issue.
    I'm not very interested in the simulations provided because I use a Roland V-Bass...but this doesn't mean I'll not check them too,just to see what's the point.
    Please explain why do you (or the reviewers) consider that the absence of a main's ground lift is a minus?
    I never had any hum problem with this generation of amps but I must confess that with some older tube equipement the ground lift is a necessary feature.
    However,there are only 7 or 8 days left 'till I get this baby...I ordered (booked) it from my local Yamaha dealer and I'm praying that the customs are more tolerant these (pre-Christmas) days and the cargo arrives as scheduled.
    Regards,

11. it was the mag. they thought people wouldn´t take it serious because of the "weight".
    same with the groundlift(mag. state) and as you said about the problems regarding. i´ve had some problems with my tubeamp but not with my SS amps.

12. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Well,until recently I was a strong advocate too for "the heavier-the better" generic way of appreciation.This is,however,perfectly normal about "classic" output stage designs (AB1,AB2,B) because everyone played (or listened to)at least once some lightweight amp wich had a flimsy mains transformer :meh: and skinny electrolytics :scowl: ...therefore,big iron=greater current capability=great lows! ;)
    With class D's arrival,it's an entire different story and it's maybe the time to learn about something else,we who play as well as the coneheads who review! :p
    Cheers,
    Le Basseur
    PS
    About the tube amp's ground lift and hum issue,it's only a matter of how good and inspired is THAT amp's grounding scheme.There are a lot of guitar players who came with their beloved Marshalls/Fenders/you-name-it tube amps and a modern pedalboard just to complain about the hum and excepting a F%#&NG Engl combo,I allways managed to reduce that hum to silence.Therefore,it can be done...just be more friendly with the tube-guru repairman in your area! :D

13. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    On the ground lift, maybe being an all digital setup Yamaha felt that it wasn't needed.

14. Jakedempsey

Jakedempsey

Dec 19, 2004
    Just got one in at the shop I work in. I was pretty skeptical about it at first, but I have to say, I'm very Impressed with this amp. Very Impressed. We have the head, and the 2x10. First off, the whole rig is light. Even the speakers.

The Interface is very easy to navigate. Basically, the knobs will control different functions depending on what you're doing. Example: Hit the comp button, the perimeters for the compressor come up. (which sounds fantastic BTW. I'll get to that in a minute.) All the functions work this way. It's very intuitive.

Sound: Let me say, this amp sounds just great. I was surprised at how nice the plug & go sound was. Very clean, very articulate, lot's of meaty goodness, and nice highs. (I was using a US Jazz at the time) The models sound like what they are supposed to. The tube amp models sound nice, and gooey. B-15, and SVTesque. The "modern" model is very SWR as might be expected. The drive section is nice. Everything from light tube drive, to full on fuzz. Now, the compressor on this amp is outstanding. It gives you anything from a simple comp with controls for threshold, and ratio, to a 5 band compressor. Very transparent even really squashed. Great little amp. The price is great for what you get too, IMO.

Cabs: Punchy, ballsy, and capable of handling whatever volume the head would throw at it. And light. Maybe 25lbs. It's a back-saver.

So, there's my impression of the amp after sitting behind it for a few minutes. I'd recommend it for sure, and I use an Eden/Bag End Rig. Go out and try one for yourselves.

15. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I would love to go out and try one but where?

16. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Interesting, Yahama's press release advertises is amp to be 8.5lbs, but their ad in the November issue of Bass Player Mag. (Page 48) states the weight as 10.5lbs. Apparently, it gained some weight :D

17. well you got to eat something traveling that far
    :D

on the other hand can it not be a problem if amps get too light and start to vibrate away from the cab? but that would have to be a really light amp thou...

18. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    So has anyone found any reviews on this? Did BP do one? I haven't seen one of these yet, but I would like to know a little more about it beyond it's specs. Actually, I would like to know how deep it is if you guys happen to know. I can't find this head on Yamaha's website.
    Thanks all,
    Wes

19. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I've posted a few comments about it here if you want to check my profile or do a search on bbt500h. I like this amp a lot. I didn't try it 1st, I just read the specs and it's what I was looking for. Small, 500 watts, class D, and Yamaha reliabilty.
    First of all, My personal experience has been good. My 1st guitar was a yamaha acoustic. New back in 84'. Still play it regularly to this day. Also have a Yamaha sgv800 electric and had a rbx765 5 string bass.
    Anyway, about the amp. I like it's 5 presets. 1 button press and you've got a different sound. Even if it's only some minor eq changes. How many different sounds does a bassist need? 5 presets is good enough for me. One could always add some thru the effects loop like most any amp has but I hate a cluttered floor.I have an ART X-11 floor pedal that has 5 preset buttons with another 2 for switching between banks of presets. This works great cause it doesn't need programming. No matter which bank the pedal is set to, 1-5 buttons on the pedal switch 1-5 presets on the amp. Just plug-n-play. :bassist: This will push 2 ohms and it needs to, to get all 500 watts so I got 2 wizzy 112 cab's. Yamaha doesn't list much for specs on the matching bbt cabinets so I was skeptical. I got the wizzy's based on reviews here and on the EA website. If you've seen the front pics of this amp, it's got a function button on the upper right. This gets used so all the knobs have 3 functions. Press the function button once and you have a full range compressor, not just the one labelled knob. Hold the function button for 2 seconds and all the front knobs have yet other duties. I really haven't used them that much as I'm satisfied with the factory presets or I just use the manual function and dial in 1 of 11 amp and cabinet simulators.
    The tube amp setting is probably my fav. as you can dial in just enough warmth for mellow thumping or start digging in for extra growl just with technique. There are 4 manual settings labelled heavy,overdrive,fuzz, and distortion. I guess they simulate particular amps. My playing doesn't require hard distortion so I don't use those much if at all.
    I sold my GK800rb to get this and am happy with the swap. I don't expect to be playing in front of throngs of people where a little PA support won't help me along but 500 watts is plenty for me. I had a friend borrow it for some recording duties and the line out was nice and quiet FWIW.
    I had it in a 4 space rack for a while but that added weight and made it wider the the wizzy cabs so I took it back out.

20. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I think I have read the only two posts on the Yamaha BBT500H on TB. I tried to pull the deminsions off of Yamaha.com, and I couldn't even find a listing for the thing on there. I must be missing something. I'm looking for the depth of the amp to see if it will fit in a shallow SKB 3 space rack like my GK1001 did.

There is little chance that I am going to be able to find one of these to audition.

I have some experience with amp modeling, but once I find the sound I am looking for, I don't tweak it much. It's nice to have the ability to change things up on certain songs where I truly have to add some effects. If it's built into the amp and sounds good, I might use it though.

I won't be using it at 2 ohms unless I truly change my situation, but I don't need to volume. Tone and portability are my #1 concern, and I'll add reliability to the equation too. I have all the PA I need if I can't get loud enough with my 4 ohm Ampeg Portbass 2x10.

What sound were you going for and can you compare the sound to another amp that I may have heard? Maybe the GK RB series or an Ampeg SVTIII?

Where did you order yours from?

Thanks,
    Wes