Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BX-1 acquisitions and mutations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lungf1sh, Nov 16, 2002.

1. lungf1sh

lungf1sh

Nov 16, 2002
    I am new to the bass scene but have been intrigued and interested in the instrument for a long time. I'm actually a vocalist (can you call what I do singing?) and I'm "expanding my horizons" so to speak. So please, bear with me here. ;)

I've recently fallen in love with the shape and feel of the Yamaha BX-1 due to a friend who owns one. He's actually more into guitars than basses, and a year ago, when I didn't have the scratch, he said I could buy it off of him. Now, though, when i have the money, he wants to keep it for sentimental reasons... After all this time I've spent yearning for this instrument!

So, about this, does anybody know where else I could pick up a BX-1, or maybe even a BX-5? I know, a silly question because there are so many places that one could be, and so little chance that it will... but I'm desperate.

And over the past year, I've also fallen in love with the Jazzmaster sounds of Fender. Man, that's pretty. I was wondering, as well, does anyone have any insight into whether I could get those particular pickups into a BX-1/BX-5 or something that sounds similar? Again, it's a newby's question, but I'm interested. I might add, as well, that I've some experience with fiberglass/composite fabrication, so I could probably create some mounting brackets or something that would be suitable to set into the body... an idea.

Thank you for your time.

2. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I don't know about the pickup swapping, but the BX-1 is occasionally available on eBay between $200-300. I used to own one; I sold it recently for a Fender Jazz.

3. lungf1sh

lungf1sh

Nov 16, 2002
    Yeah, I've figured that I might be able to pick one up on ebay sometime, but as of right now, there are none up for grabs there. It's a bit depressing. How common are these basses?

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I don't think they're quite as common as most of the 80's basses that show up, but I've seen two at one time, so there's hope! :)

I think I would have loved the BX-5.

5. lungf1sh

lungf1sh

Nov 16, 2002
    <i>Amazing</i>, man, simply amazing!