Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha BX-1 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by S13SX, Nov 16, 2005.

1. S13SX

S13SX

Nov 16, 2005
    Hey, I've been playing bass for awhile. I usually play a Fender Jazz bass, not that good but eh it suits me for what I need. Recently a brothers friend was moving out, and had gotten this bass from his dad. He gave it to me for what I believe is a steal because he doesn't play, and has no ambition to. I just would like to know more about it. I've researched it and found out the basics about it. But mine is different. Mine is fretless, the back of the neck is exposed(showing the 5 layer wood) instead of all the other ones i've seen having an all black neck. Also it has EMG pick ups, 5 of them to be exact. I don't know anything about them. There are 4 that are an 1"x 2 1/2" and the one in back is 1"x4". Found out it was made an the early 80's in japan. Also has its original leather custom fitted case. Its in good shape, I just re-stringed it. How much is this worth? Also is it rare? I've never seen one. And the only ones i've seen online have frets and are all black. Thanks guys

2. S13SX

S13SX

Nov 16, 2005
    Anyone? Anyone at all?

3. S13SX

S13SX

Nov 16, 2005
    Hmm, been searching. Still haven't gotten straight answers, can anyone tell me what I have in my possession? Also I dis-like fretless basses so anyone know how much I could sell it for?

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If it has 5 EMGs, it has been heavily modded. There are supposed to be two pickups, the same ones that were in the Motion B basses. I owned a BX1 back in the day.

5. S13SX

S13SX

Nov 16, 2005
    what about the fact that it is fretless? Isn't that odd?

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I've never encountered one. Does yours have the lines...does it look like it's been defretted?

7. S13SX

S13SX

Nov 16, 2005
    yes it still has the lines, it has been defretted. When the kid first told me about it I thought it was some cheap crappy bass. Then I was wondering why someone would mod it so extensively if it was so crappy and thats what got me to make this thread. So far i've found out that the neck had been stripped and defretted, and 5 EMG pick ups were put in place of the stock 2. I can't seem to find one forsale thats not in uber crappy condition. So does anyone know what this might sell for?

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    They're going around 250-300 on eBay; there's presently one listed that I know of, as well as a BX5 (the 5-string version). I wouldn't count on getting that much for a modded version, however. I'm interested in how the dude managed to fit 5 EMG's into that body. Got a pic?