1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

yamaha C112 as bass cab? 3012ho

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Oct 21, 2010.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I've got a pair of yamaha c112 pa tops at home that I really like playing bass through. They don't have any low end under about 100hz but, I actually like that sound. It's kind of like playing through sealed cabs. I was wondering what kind of result I would get by replacing the woofers (probably a modded alpha or delta eminence) eminence 3012ho drivers? Those drivers look like they would work well in the yamaha cabs. I think the horn is crossed over at 2k or lower. I know that the kappalite's are more efficient. Thanks for any help guys.

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey, while Im at it, does anyone know how low I could cross the horn at? The magnet on the thing is pretty big, around 5" and has a 2" throat. Changing the crossover to 1.2k would be great or at least down to 1.6k. It looks like the eminence horn driver with the 2" throat but, Im not sure. That one says it's rated down to 500-800hz.

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I don't know the cabinet and haven't modeled the bass driver with it? but vis a vis the horn the 2" driver might be suitable for a horn with a frequency response as low or indeed lower than 500 hz like this one:
    [​IMG]
    But you don't got one!.:bawl:
    What a driver (bass included) might be capable of does depend on how its utilized quite a bit.:D

4. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Nice!

5. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    if you like the sound why change anything? if you want a different cab buy it and sell the yamahas instead of trying to make a cigar fit into a cigarette pack

6. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Because I don't think the stock woofers would hold up to gig volume for very long and Im just curious if anyone had done this.

7. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    There are very few boxes a 3012Ho won't work in. It's good in pretty much anything down to 1 cubic foot. It doesn't do the greatest in sealed boxes so if they're sealed, port them. It'll improve response under 200hz most likely - modeling it is easy enough though.

I don't know about the horn driver or xover, but I do know Beach Audio sells the 1.6khz generic eminence crossover prebuilt for quite cheap.
    http://www.beachaudio.com/Eminence/Pxb1k6-p-289647.html

Might be worth a shot.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I guess, what Im asking is, would there be any benefit in replacing the stock drivers in my cv112 speakers with 3012ho drivers? As far as use for bass.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Without knowing the specs of the CV112 speakers I'll say a qualified yes. You should have at least double the displacement limits so eq'ing more bass in is a lot easier. Down side is, that is limited by port area, so not knowing the port area is a problem in that diagnoses.

There should be some sensitivity improvement as well. The 3012HOs are insanely loud. But again hard to say with certainty.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks RP. Yeah, the porting could be an issue. Judging from the specs and my limited knowledge, Im guessing that the cab would be more efficient, alittle louder and have more upper mids.