1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

yamaha comparison question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jjk2007, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Fellow TB'ers,

I own a TRBJPI (34" scale etc.) and was wondering how that compared to one of the TRB5PII basses? I love everything about the six string except for the neck and fingerboard that you could land a small plane on. I have small hands and sometimes it is a chore for me to play the six but the sound qualities of that bass are my fav. How does the five compare to the JP soundwise? I love the tone of the JP so that is what I am really wanting to compare and just wanted to know if anyone could help me out as I haven't been able to find any of the 5 strings to compare it to.

2. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Check your technique and make sure your thumb on the neck hand is below halfway on the back of the neck before you go changing basses :cool:

3. I used to own a 5PII and gigged with a friend's JPI. The 5PII is very sweet sounding, and has a lot of sustain, mostly because it is a neck through. The fingerstyle sound is very sophisticated and rich, and it slapped well too. I really loved how it sounded, except it was probably too sweet-sounding, it that it covers a large bandwidth. My former bandmates complained that it was too boomy, and that I didn't cut through enough.

I had the luck of playing my friend's JPI for a couple of gigs, and I loved it. Also had an ebony fretboard (both basses convinced me that this is my favorite fingerboard wood), and it also sounded smooth, but slapped better (probably because it has a bolt on neck). I definitely didn't have any trouble cutting through with it, and it was very comfortable to play. He was actually selling it to me; in retrospect, I should've bought it.

The one Yamaha bass that beats them both, though (in my opinion), is the TRBJPII. But that wouldn't solve your dilemna, would it? :)

4. is $2200 a good price for a NOS TRBJPII??

5. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    Thanks for the reply's guys. Anyone else?