Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Compressor and equalizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Requiem, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Requiem

Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    Well i just bought Yamaha pedal, a compressor and equalizer. It is kinda old and it is green.. thats all I can remember now.

When I conect it with my Kustom I-Bass Amp and my Yamaha JM series (5 str.) it simply doesn't sound as good as I was told. It kinda "stops" the tone, even if I raise the sustain and atack all the way up. My question is very simple:

How can I play and f/ck with it? I mean so far my amp sounds better without it. Is it more for recording or concert puorposes?

Peace

Req

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You need to bone up on how a compressor works. The attack is the length of time the compressor waits until it starts to compress the signal, after the signal has exceeded the input threshold. The threshold is the input level at which the compressor starts to reduce the output gain. The ratio is the ratio of the output gain to the input gain, after the signal exceeds the input threshold. The release is how long the compressor waits to "let go" of the signal after it drops below the threshhold. So you don't just "turn it up" to get the effect. With compression, a little goes a long way. If you can hear the effect, you're using too much. Got that?

3. I think compressors are great and can are very useful.. I don't have a real compressor, just the one on my digital sh-t pedal (it still works quite fine anyway), but have tried a real one and you shouln't regret having bought it, just learn how to use it. It can help you get a great decent tone .