YAMAHA confusion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 1, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have always hated unnamed products. when comes to short mix of letters and numbers instead of proper names my brain starts to go out of service. speaking of the yamaha lines of basses here what we have:

i'm interested in the differences between those basses. i want a 5 string bass with active electronics but i can't decide if one of those could be good for me. can you help? anyone plays one?
    what abut the prices?
  2. Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001

I hope this info helps a little. Yamaha makes good basses.
  3. Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yamaha really has to do something about their specifications. They are extremely unclear, and often wrong.

For example, I have a BBG4S, which is listed as having active PICKUPS and electronics on the website. Well, i replaced the active electronics with passive ones and on a hunch i guessed that the pickups were passive and they are. the bass works without a battery.
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    the BBG5S is similar to the BBN(5 or 4), except that it has active electronics (not sure about the pickups) they are pretty inexpensive, well under 500 bucks i think, and very well constructed. play well too. I almost bought one a while ago. ive seen some brand new in the icy metallic blue color on ebay going pretty cheap before.... ya might wanna check em out. i very underrated bass that sounds like a lot more than it costs.
  5. i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Ordered by their class:
    TRB is their top of the line product (neck through, exotic wood). BBN5A has 3-band EQ, while BBG5S only has 2-band EQ and less cosmetics, they're stripped down version of Nathan East bass. RBX765A are more rock oriented (remember John Myung ?), I think the electronic is the same with BBG5S.
    I had some Yamaha products (bass, acoustic guitar, keyboard & piano), and they're excellent. I will choose BBG5S for it's feature and price (arounf 550US$).
  6. i too am also thinking of getting a good, inexpensive 5 string bass, and Yamaha seems to be it.

i'm just worried about how the bass works in the studio. I've heard that these basses are noisy, is this true with the TRB-5 models?

TRB seems to be their best looking line among the others.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

IME, yes. The old neck through TRB's had a little hiss when you maxed the treble, but the newer TRB II's and III's are much noiser. Fine for live playing, too noisy for studio work, IMHO, YMMV, etc.
  8. I just bought a Yamaha BBG5 from Musicians Friend for $299. I'll let you know all the specs and my opinion when I get it. :D
  9. arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    >>>I've heard that these basses are noisy, is this true with the TRB-5 models?

I've been playing a TRB5FII for the last couple of years and I report it's electronics to be quiet as a mouse. No problems either live or in the studio. I must admit that I don't use the tone controls though. Always sort that kind of thing at the amp end.
  10. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I was sitting out a day at church cuz another guy wanted to play bass, but he had this cheap Yamaha...I'm guessing it was cheap, I hope it was cheap. It was a pbass copy and it sounded really crappy...it was all clanky sounding, I had to go up the mixing board and lower his mid frequency and almost cut it to nothing. God it sounded so bad...do all Yamahas sound like that?
  11. I think the unamed bass issue is a Japanese thing. Drives me crazy too. I'm a dumb American and I need names to know whats what. I'm guessing if they named the instruments it might lose some of it's meaning in the translation.

Imagine if your bass was called the:

BBN5 Horse or,
    BBG4 Flying Bird

I don't know, just my guess.
  12. the RBX basses rock, I had one. great playing basses, looks real nice too.
  13. TRBs are in my opinion great basses. Better end Yamahas play well and have good electronics on them. I know someone in another band and he says its fantastic to play, you can throw it around all da, treat it bad and it will still perform great.

14. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    unfortunately Dean basses are not available here in italy. i'm interested both in their 5 string models and in their 8 string Rhapsody bass. what's your comment on these?
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

I got one in 1986.

I would put that bass up against anything out there now.
  16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I did a few sessions with my friend's BBN5A, and I'll be the first one to vouch for Yamaha's quality. It's a steal at less than 1/2 the price of the Nathan East signature model.
  17. Hey Barroso, what's up?

Scarred2112, I think you just solved a mystery!

Back in June I was dying for a 5 string, and I wound up buying a Yamaha BB5N II. It's looks just like the blue bass in the link you posted, but, it DOES NOT have active electronics in it. It's set up just like a standard Fender Jazz. The pickups are in the same spots, and it's got two volume and one tone control. I think this is why it says BB5N II on the back of the headstock. Aha! I think it also comes in just 3 colors: Natural, dark stain, and black. As for the sound, with both pickups on full this bass is dead quiet. I haven't recorded anything with it, but, it is extremely quiet, and, it has a growlier tone than any *stock* Fender Jazz I've ever heard. They're $399.00 at either Sam Ash or Musiciansfriend. Build quality is good~very good depending how critical you are. I've said it before, for $400.00 I don't think you can buy a better brand new bass that sounds great and is so well built. I think the thing about active electronics is if they don't really do it well (like Musicman) you have added tone control/output WITH added noise.

The RBX series are excellent as well. I've played most of them, and they all sound great, all on the growly side. Their fingerboards are flatter than the BB series though. More like a Gibson.

To me, anything Yamaha makes gives you so much for your money.

Mike J.
  18. I bought a Yamaha RBX250 for my church for $55 from eBay. It ain't the best looking thing on earth, but it sounds pretty good, and it plays just fine. Hard to complain for that kind of money.
  19. I bought a Yamaha TRB-5II (used for 600) and wow. I could not be more satisfied. Its a great bass. The electronics aren't noisy and it sounds good. The BBG4's are on sale at MF for 299, a great deal.

Go yamaha! :D
  20. jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I bought a BBN5 a couple of years ago. The stock elctronics sounded good but to get more versatility out of the bass I installed Bartolini pickups and preamp. They make a complete setup already put together (pickups, preamp, pots and jack) AND, it all fit nicely in the stock cavity of the bass (no routing or drilling needed). It has 3 knobs, VOL/VOL, MIDS push/pull, and BASS/TREBLE.

I'd put this bass up against any of the higher priced Yamahas and most other basses. I've recorded many times with it and it just sounds great!

One bad thing about the BBN5 is that, if you don't want any dip in the neck, you're out of luck. The truss rod in this series bass isn't strong enough to pull the neck flat. So, if you want a bass that can be set up up with super low action don't buy this one.

Good luck in your quest!