1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YAMAHA EUB Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Oct 30, 2000.

1. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Sylvain-
    Can you expand on your use of the Bassbone with the 200? Is that the two channel one? How does it compare with the Platinum EQ if you've used one? Is the impedance good with an amp?
    I was able to use a 6mm Pearl drum screw without changing anything. Had access to a drum shop though.

The knee pad broke easily on mine too unfortunately. I do wish the bout was a little smaller around. I feel like I have to lean into the bass a little too much.I don't know if there's a cure for that. As with other "stick basses" you just have to accept it as a different instrument. This one, though, is so much closer to a real bass in setup and feel, it's still kind of frustrating to play in comparison.

Ike

2. Hi Ike, I never really used the knee pad as I play standing up. I never used the Platinum EQ but I have used the two channel Bassbone very effectively with my two basses EQed differently and the boost for the big songs. I used it as a DI and in an amp at not too high volume at the same time.
    Sylvain

3. etfischer84

etfischer84

Feb 12, 2013
    San Francisco
    Does anyone have a stand that they use for their SLB 100? $250 for a stand seems a bit steep.

Thanks!!!

4. I use the 2 channels bassbone so I can have different eqs and similar volume when I switch between levy roc and upright bass.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    For the SVB-200 I use the Hamilton KB550 Double Bass Stand. $45 from Musicians Friend and works without modification.

jelise likes this.
  6. jonsu

jonsu

Feb 27, 2008
    Hi,

I've had my Yamaha SLB 200 for some years now, and I've been mostly satisfied with it. I use it on cruise ships, on gigs with too small a ride for acoustic, and also on gigs wich have too loud stage volume for acoustic.

I can only compare it with an acoustic bass since I haven't used any other EUB. In the case where stage volume gets high enough, it starts to sound more acoustic than the real thing, cause there's not much feedback. So that makes a very good situation for SLB. Also I'm very happy to have it, when there's a high risk of someone breaking a real acoustic bass, like drunken audience or reckless roadies.

Still I would never record it, and I try to avoid playing it publicly with a bow, (or if I have to, I'll just turn all the highs off with the EQ).

I've only had one major problem with the bass, and it's the tuning machines. The cogwheel is just too small for the tension, so it didn't keep the tune before adjusting it so tight that it was very hard to turn when tuning the bass. Finally I ended up breaking the hole thing on E string:
    [​IMG]

I bought me some better quality tuning machines from Rubner, but then I had some fitting to do. The neck of an acoustic bass narrows more at the end, so the pegs on E and G strings were too long and the pegs on A and D strings were too short. So... I drilled longer holes for E and G pegs, and made the neck more narrow at end to fit the short pegs on A and D:
    [​IMG]

Now it seems to be working fine again.

7. JRV_Bass

JRV_Bass

Feb 2, 2014
    Hi guys, new to TalkBass and I'm a bass guitarist just starting out on upright with an SLB200.

Does anyone know suppliers for the shoulder extension BEF2? The only place I could find is this German site (http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_bef2_extension_frame.htm) - which including shipping to Australia, would cost me $250. An American shop (if i could find one) would be hopefully much cheaper because of the exchange rate!

8. Per H

Per H

Dec 8, 2012
    I have a standard SLB 200 LTD, and i am really pleased with the sound as long as i practice using (inexpensive Koss KTXPro1 or PortaPro) headphones (via small Behringer mixer) - but:
    When using any of my combos (EBS Classic 150, Hartke 70, Peavey MicroBass) its is not that upright sound any more. I think it needs a more HiFi kind of amplification - may be an active stage monitor - or? What do you use for amplification? Per H

9. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    And I've used a Fishman BP-100 on my SVB-100 with lots of different amps, from my Phil Jones Briefcase to an Ampeg with a 15" speaker and it always sounds more like an upright than the Yamaha pickup. A cheap fix that really works.

Attached Files:

10. korotkov

korotkov Supporting Member

May 19, 2010
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Hey all,

Anyone tried evah solo or spiro solo gauge on SLB 200? I'm looking to upgrade from my daddario pizz set. I don't like the sound of the E string and I definitely wouldn't bow it, otherwise it's a great sounding bass

11. SWoods

SWoods

Feb 23, 2008
    Where did you find the carbon fiber rod?

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    If your'e asking me about the carbon fiber rod, I ordered it years ago from some website that had rods out of raw stock. You might run into some difficulty though - I had a leftover end pin that Brent Norton designed many years ago and he's no longer in business. The end pin doesn't use a screw and has a collar that tightens - though it could get tighter. I'm not sure you will be able to find the rod with the right diameter that you need, however a custom pin could probably be manufactured.

Anyways, I gave my yammie some TLC today and surpringing, Corelli TX Forte sounds good with it. Raised the strings up quite an amount and it plays well. Maybe all the bitching I did about it in the past is a little unwarranted and I needed to find the right strings/setup. I hope to use it more often now.

Also, plugging it into the EDB2 is an improvement.

I will likely steal from the EB trick book and buy a scrunchy to put below the nut and kill some of the sustain. Maybe I'll get a little bit more thump out of it otherwise it sustains a little too much.

13. mooseonbass

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    I make endpins using 10mm carbon fiber rods that I purchase on ebay. Apparently they are used for making RC airplanes.

14. mooseonbass

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    I've come up with a great hard case for my SVB 100. I had my friend Mary from www.notfromthestore.com sew some bags from a flannel sheet. I put the stick and the "body" into the bags and then into a snowboard case - a sportube III. It works well but I'm guessing I'll still get charged up the butt to put them on a plane.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    jelise likes this.
  15. sumbabba

sumbabba

Nov 6, 2009
    London
    What are the dimensions and weight of the KB550 when folded? I bought the BST-1 (the Yamaha stand specifically made for the SLB200) and it's weighs a ton. It's so heavy and unwieldy I hardly ever take it to gigs and have to hope there's a corner I can prop my bass up in!

16. bassfacer22

bassfacer22 Supporting Member

sorry don't mean to ruin a good thread here.. but,

They don't make 5-string versions and they aren't removable neck.. still have to change pickups and still bad strings.. even the tuning pegs aren't strong enough hmm..

Still not impressed with yamaha basses after reading all of this either..

glad I purchased an Eminence Removable neck instead.. Just throwing that out there for anyone reading this looking to decide between or purchase a "portable" upright bass..

(i was looking to buy the yamaha bass as well..)

17. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I'm back tinkering with my SVB200.

* I've had Gael McKeon do some work and he fixed up the terrible hack set up job another local luthier did here. The neck is now really thin but plays like a pro instrument.
    * I've removed the Norton Custom's endpin today and put the original back on with it's endpin rod. Went to the HW store to find a replacement screw for the endpin but no luck and went home with a M6 screw instead. Super secure now using an allen wrench to tighten it. I'll be ordering this to replace the original that was stripped: McMaster-Carr
    * With the original endpin housing/block back on, the bass is less tense and the weight is now back to normal. It's pretty obvious that having a heavy end pin helped balanced the instrument. The carbon fiber rod might have reduced weight and the coupling with the floor while practicing, but it throws the balance off. I don't recommend swapping it out anymore. It was bad idea in hindsight.
    * Bass is now strung with Labella Tapewounds. Yeah, it's a whole other animal now. Somewhere in the land between EB and DB. I actually like it alot this way, it cuts through like an electric instrument but has the lows and feel of DB. I'm messing around with some stompboxes now (Bass Octaver & Phase 90) and it's quite fun. Great for fusion and latin type stuff.
    * I'm going to be buying an HPF-Pre from FDeck and replacing all the internals with it. The Fishman will have a jack mounted on the EQ plate and I'll wire it to the inputs. This will be flush and neat by the time I'm done.

So now with endpin back to where it was and the new fingerboard dressing, it does feel like a decent instrument.

I'm going to purchase a few endpin knobs and will post which is the best I find from McMaster. They have a few different knob styles.

cultrvultr likes this.
  18. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I put a Krivo on and tweaked it to balance out the strings. OMG. OMGOMG.

Forget Full Circle, forget everything else. Krivo!

I hate to say this but if I close my eyes and imagine I'm in a live setting, this might be just a good as the real thing. :bag: It just doesn't have the puff but if you're playing in a louder situation it's not going to matter. In some ways, having it amplified this way is even better: the tone is very clear and very easy to intonate. Not a lot of overtones.

It's a humbucker too, so no buzz/grounding issues.

BTW: This is the replacement screw you want. Really easy to put on a lot of tension.
    McMaster-Carr
    I bought the 25mm. The 17mm might be better, 5mm def too short.

Attached Files:

MR PC likes this.
  19. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    hdiddy, are you still digging the KRIVO? I bought a 2016 model recently and have used it on my Azola EUB for recording, I like it very much, it is an improvement over the older models. I decided to keep it (previous model I sent back after trial) Arco is surprisingly good. Though pizza, on my bass it really does sound closer to a fretless P bass than anything else I've tried on this bass, Underwood, Bass Max, Realist. The Underwood wins for pizza, just more string info from the bridge, but at high volume, the background handling noise is extreme.

20. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I need to work more on the Krivo. I played a gig with just the FC a few weeks ago and was actually quite happy with it. My gutted Yammie has a Bartolini EB pre mounted - I need to connect it drectly to the Krivo and then it'll be good.

Yes it's going to sound like a P-Bass to some degree, but it's like driving a nail with a sledgehammer. Prob better suited to loud volumes. I need to get some industrial strength velcro. I'm back to being on the fence. It's either the FC or the Krivo - depending on the situation? An experiment with sticking a Rev Solo into the body where the Yammie pickup was turned out to be so-so.

MR PC likes this.