1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YAMAHA EUB Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Oct 30, 2000.

1. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah, I decided that having the KRIVO on tap is a good thing on my bass. I futzed around a little with blending the Bridge and magnetic, it worked pretty well here at home. Looking into the Fishman Powerchip which enables onboard blending between the two pu's. The Velcro supplied with KRIVO is pretty solid, but agree that finding an even more solid mounting would be an improvement. The pole piece adjustment is nice, but if the pickup moves at all, the string to string balance goes out the window. I think the pu works well enough that I'll mount it permanently so that flaw won't be an issue.

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I contacted Krivo about a permanent mount. They said to use an xacto knife and carefully carve off the velcro, and then just epoxy it to the fingerboard.

I have been thinking of other mounts but haven't been acting on anything as I'm evaluating another bass to own.

3. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    That would work, providing that glue joint is failsafe. Since the bottom of my fingerboard is flat (sans the typical scooped section on most double basses) I'm thinking of attaching an aluminum bracket to the board that extends a little past the end of the board. That will be a platform for the pickup.

4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    My thinking was to actually create a flat edge larger than the end of the fingerboard, glue it to the back of the FB to create more surface area. Then either use velcro or epoxy it to this add-on.

Also, Krivo recommends you buy industrial strength velcro (available through Amazon and similar).

5. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a Kirvo to upgrade the stock mag pup on my 1998 Azola BugBass. The pickup on my bass uses a single machine screw that goes into a threaded insert at the bottom of the FB.

I've also been thinking about upgrading the 2band active pre with something newer and swapping out the old KK Bassmax for an Upton bridge pickup or something. Any thoughts on good transparent pre's used for DB/EUB? I might even consider going passive. It's not like it doesn't sound any good, but I like to experiment with my basses and frankly... A lot new products have been invented since my Azola was made.

MR PC likes this.
  6. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Speyer, that sounds like an interesting mounting system on your Azola. Part of the Krivo sound is that he managed to integrate the micro phonic aspect of his pickup into the sound. It is dependent on being in contact with the end of the fingerboard for this, at least as far as I can tell. So it has a quasi acoustic sound of sorts, but really sounds like a big fret less P as yours might already. What kind of magnetic pickup is on your Azola? It probably is pretty good..maybe upgrading the piezo would yield more noticeable results. I didn't care for the Bass Max system that came with my Azola. Mine came passive with two Bassmax pickups and an ill designed passive blending system, really dreadful when you tried to mix the two pickups. I don't know what kind of preamp you have there, but the one on a Azola Lightning Bug I had for a while was an EMG, not sure which model, it had bass treble, middle, and volume, used one 9v batt. I'm guessing that the most noticeable change you could make would be in the bridge pickup. My system right now is an old Underwood, sometimes with a fdeck pre for hi pass eq, but really if your amp is piezo friendly with good eq that is most important. You should be fine going straight in without any outboard eq.

7. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what make the pre is yet but it's bass/treble with a push/pull mid contour I think. The MAG pickup is a mystery to me as well but it does sound good. I prefer the tone with the piezo blended in about 40% (that's what gives it the more upright/hollow sound) however, I find the Bassmax has about 1/2 the output of the MAG. I feel like I'm loosing a lot of potential keeping the bassmax in place.

I'm thinking I should just start with swapping out the bass max and possibly carve a new bridge to suit the new pickup while I'm at it. I've got an FDeck on my board, and an EBS multi drive for a standalone pre if needed. I'm looking at either an DG realist or an Upton revolution.

Next thing I gotta figure out is what strings to buy! :eek: Looking for the feel of obligatos / evahs but with a steel core... Tempted to try labella 7710 black tapes on the Azola. Anything with a fat sounding G please :crying:

MR PC likes this.
  8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I have the black tapewounds on my yammie. If you want a traditional sound, that is definitely not the way to go.

bassfacer22 likes this.
  9. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    So this happened. Nice bend in the plate, prob exacerbated by the fact that the endpin hole at the bottom was widened to accomodate a regular endpin at one point.

I was told by another guy that the newer plates have more screw so I'll try to order it through Yamaha repair site. You have to call them to get the part number. Apparently, the same thing happened to there other Yammie owner I spoke to.

If the replacement part doesn't work, I'll prob just go back to the real endpin collar and find a metal rod of the same diameter and length. Might be easier to go with the real deal tho.

Attached Files:

10. jelise

jelise

Sep 11, 2013
    MARTINIQUE F.W.I
    It works for the SLB-100 too :thumbsup:

11. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Hmmm... screws I used in my previous post were too small? Just switched to screws with a bigger diameter and problem goes away. Bent plate is not a big deal.

12. I'm new to this thread - I haven't read all 18 pages yet so please forgive me if my newbie questions have been asked and answered many times.

I've never played upright - I am studying tumbao (The Latin Bass Book) with electric and starting to think I might want to learn upright. I know the old Ampeg Baby seems to be the bass for salsa - but I am wondering if the Yamaha would be good. I did some searches and couldn't find much mention of the Yamaha being used for Salsa.

My other question - mainly because I so dislike the sound of piezo pickups in everything else - how does the pickup work in the SLB (SVB?) 200? Is there any info on what special mojo Yamaha did to make the pickup sound good?

13. The baby bass has the diaphragm pickup that dampens the string more than on other EUBs, maybe even more than on most real uprights. But it's more the diaphragm itself than the magnetic transduction that shortens the notes.
    You can simulate that by using orchestral strings that are highly damped or put some foam close to the bridge pressing against the strings to rob some energy from the string.

But I play salsa (not very often now) on my regular double bass or a bridge foot piezo equipped EUB. The shortened notes are not so important to me and if I really want them, I stop letting them ring with my left hand. That way I can have longer ringing notes for a bolero that might be a bit short using a baby bass or a highly damped string.

You don't really need a baby bass for salsa, but if you eagerly want that short note sound, you might prefer it. (Or the guys hiring you want that only...)

The Yamaha is made for jazz and simulating an acoustic bass for studying classical. Of course it has a piezo pickup.
    But piezo pickups are not neccessarily that bad sounding if they have an high impedance preamp/buffer immediately following. If you get an acoustic double bass you have the option to use a top mounted contact mic, that gives you punch and a shorter sustain that is closer to the real output of a double bass. The bridge mounted pickups (mostly piezos, but not neccessarily) have less punch and a longer sustain, similar to a bass guitar, the closer to the strings the more it sounds "electric". But with contact mics on a double bass, the amplification factor before feedback is smaller than with a bridge mounted pickup and even smaller than with a EUB. But it's noticeably larger than using an air mic, even close to the top.

Every double bass player who also uses an EUB will tell you that you better get an acoustic upright if you want to learn double bass. It's true. And most of them think the Yamaha feels closest to a double bass holding the instrument. (There might be some exceptions, but they won't be any cheaper.)

BTW, don't try to play the transcriptions at the end of the Latin bass book on an upright or EUB, they have been played on a bass guitar.

14. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I just rented an SLB200 to cover some regular DB gigs while my Pfretzschner is in for a fairly major overhaul. My impression is much more favorable than when I last posted to this thread over fifteen years ago having just played the 1st generation instrument. I've got it for a month but I'll need it (or something) longer and at this point I'm inclined for a number of reasons just to buy the thing.
    -It feels more like a real bass standing with it than any other EUB I've played.
    -With the Krivo (glad I kept the old one when I went to the new more compact model) I'm very happy with how it sounds.
    -Being so compact I'll likely use it on small stages where I've been bringing a slab. I'd much prefer this as will some of the people I'm playing with.
    -I've turned down a couple of very nice apartments recently because I keep odd hours and need to be able to practice when most folks are asleep.
    -They don't seem to hold extraordinary resale value but in this case that's working for me as I'll be able to buy it for a 3rd what a new one would cost.
    It's not perfect but I think with minimal effort I can turn it into a workhorse that will serve me well.

Thanks to all you folks who've posted to this thread over the years. It's been invaluable in educating myself about these basses.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. Alligator

Alligator

Jan 30, 2017
    Hello! It seems that every store I've contacted in the Midwest does not stock the Yamaha Silent Basses and would need to special-order one. Do any of you know of any stores in the Midwest that have an SVB200 in stock? Or, if ordering one is my only option, any recommendations on who has the best price?
    Thanks!

16. bassfacer22

bassfacer22 Supporting Member

And how do you fly internationally with the new Yamaha model? Is it any smaller or does it compact into a small enough size to fly in or onthe plane? Or do you just put it in some odd shaped hard case and check it??

17. OneNote

OneNote

Sep 28, 2015
    Holland
    Hello, I just bought an SLB200 and I think the frame does not fit well to the body, there's a lot of space left. Please see picture 1. It looks like the two ridges of the body plate do not fall into the openings of the frame plate, please see picture 2. It takes some effort to force the frame onto the body and then I have to use considerable power on the screw to force the frame nearer to the body. This way the thread of the screw is not going to live very long, I am afraid...
    For comparison, please see picture 3, which I took from the internet. It looks that the frame fits much better on that pic.
    Anyone familiar with the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Picture 1:
    TByam1s.

Picture 2:

TByam2.

Picture 3:

TByam1_I.

18. It seems that on the left side there was cut off too much wood towards the top. The left side doesn't look parallel to the right one.

19. ross03

ross03

Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  20. DuluthDank

DuluthDank

May 11, 2008
    After reading about the experiences of others, I went ahead and picked up a Full Circle for my silent bass. After messing around with it for a few hours yesterday, I wasn't able to get a sound I liked any better than the stock pickup. There is a sort of persistent and unpleasant mid range frequency with the Full Circle that I can only get rid of if I drop the mids as low as it will go on my Fishman Pro Platinum (the old-school version), and at that point I feel like I'm basically gutting the mids to the point of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Perhaps if I had a more sophisticated preamp with a notch filter? Also, I had assumed that the string noise would be more prominent and realistic with the Full Circle as it is places closer to the strings than the stock pickup, but I haven't found that to be case at all. I will continue to mess around with it a bit more before giving up, but I just figured I'd point out that the Full Circle isn't a universal improvement for everybody.

geoffbassist likes this.