1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

YAMAHA EUB Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Oct 30, 2000.

1. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Correct, there is no universal solution. String type, string height, personal technique, amplifier, yadda yadda yadda - all contribute to the end result. Also, the way the FC is installed (and where it is in the rotation of the threads) changes the sound. I'm sure you already know all of this - but just wanted to put it out there. The FC may not be the right answer for you, but without question, it has much more flexibility and potential to get you to what you wish to hear than the stock pickup. Your wondering out loud about a more robust/flexible EQ unit is spot on. More precise tailoring of unwanted frequencies keep the desirable part of the spectrum intact. The process can take a while, but once you get to that place where it all works together - right strings & setup, you'll be glad you took the time. If that journey leads you to another pickup, I for one would certainly appreciate reading about it. Good luck!

2. The contact area of the bridge or foot needs to be plan and in parallel to the adjuster disk surface.
    The full range of sound is in a quarter turn of the adjuster, probably mirrored in the middle, to try very small adjustments of the orientation of the pickup up to a quarter turn.

I had the same problem at the beginning. My adjuster cable comes out at the edge of the bridge foot now.

Input impedance of the first circuit following the Full Circle is also important. 5 MegOhms seem to be optimal, up to 10 and down to 1 MegOhm good or acceptable, but less than 1 MegOhms is not sonically satisfying.

The Full Circle also pushes through the band. That might not be desirable for a more intimate music without drums or with a really quiet drummer, but works well with louder and larger groups which includes drums of some kind.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  3. bassfacer22

bassfacer22 Supporting Member

I just want to through it out there, (and I only hear good reviews for it, but haven't used it myself ) try the Yamahiko pickup -

(where apparently the pickup is in the threads and so you don't have to worry about any placement of how the wheel is at all.)

Make sure the correct size threads that the Yamaha adjusters wheels currently are. I'm assuming they are standard size threads for American basses.

upload_2017-8-16_19-28-29.

4. The Yamahiko standard thread size is larger than usual adjuster thread sizes. The newest one is one of the imperial sizes, but make sure you have the same adjuster sizes as the Yamahiko offers.

If you don't have any adjusters, then it doesn't matter unless you have very thin bridge legs.

The Full Circle has more standard adjuster thread sizes, also a metrical one.

5. bassfacer22

Hey Guys, wanted to throw this video in this thread as for comparison to the sound of the Yamaha Silent bass to the Emenince Portable basses.

What do you guys think? Do you consider the sound of the Eminence better or worse than your Yamaha Silent basses? I don't have a Yamaha Silent bass, but I have tried the first model - but I can't remember how it was!

Things you should know, I'm using WalterWoods amp with a Fearless f112 cab, and a microphone pickup called the Ischell (which sticks on the body below the bridge) but it's a contact microphone.

This is not the stock default setup of the Eminence basses either. So note that.

Enjoy the sound test video and I apologize for messing around a bit but I think you'll get a good idea of the sound.

and

It's kinda the same but a 2nd video in case.

6. DuluthDank

DuluthDank

May 11, 2008
    No doubt your bass sounds better. Being an actual acoustic instrument is a major benefit. The Yamaha sounds pretty close to the sound of a real bass through a piezo pickup, and if you think about it, it'd be kind of strange to expect any better than that (the Alter Ego does sound better than a real bass through a piezo pickup IMO, but that's another, more expensive story). Yours sounds like a real bass through a mic, at least to my ears. What is nice about Yamaha is how quiet it is when not plugged in, which is how I usually use it. Lots of people get some great live sounds out of it as well, especially in moderate to high volume settings. In a living room though, yours should sound better every time, I'd expect.

7. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    Hi All
    Last year I drilled and tapped the endpin mount on my SLB 200.Usually(according to posts) the bolt threads strip but in my case it was the actual threads in the mount.I use a small hose clamp on the endpin to take most of the weight like many of you do.
    Last week I came across a length of 5/8 aluminum rod(solid, not tube)and decided to try it as an endpin.I cut it to length and put on the hose clamp and found that it fits better and is gripped tighter in the mount than the original chrome tube, maybe because it is less slippery.At any rate I don't have to tighten the bolt as much and figure that I have made a little improvement on one the few weak spots on my bass.A 5/8 rubber cane tip finished the job and I have played a couple of gigs set up this way and no problems.I got the aluminum rod at Home Depot.
    Anyone else have tricks that they have used on the endpin?
    Oh yeah,I also use one of those thin sticky silicone pads on the bass "shoulder" so it doesn't slip all over the place as I lean against it.I think the pads were made to hold phones and other stuff on the dash of your car and they can be removed with no mess left behind and last a long time.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  8. bassfacer22

Thanks for commenting. I'm just letting it be known the difference to anyone interested as I also was between buying a Yamaha Silent bass or an Eminence bass.

I chose the Eminence because it allows me to have 5-strings and also the neck removes and it all fits into a Golf Case for travel overseas. I called up Yamaha and spoke with them about this and they don't see "demand" for a 5-string so that's why they didn't make them. How do you travel internationally with it? Like flying with skis right?

I used the Eminence bass through a PA system and amp on a lot of gigs, and the Eminence sounded just like that in my "living room". No difference.

I do wish I could practice silent sometimes, but the little sound that mine produces will not exactly bother anyone either.

Anyway, one day I will try the Yamaha again. I just hope they make a 5-string version!

9. DuluthDank

DuluthDank

May 11, 2008

I've had a chance to try the Full Circle in other rooms, with a band, and with a different amp and now I've changed my tune. At home, playing alone through the old Fishman Pro Platinum into a Fender Rumble 40 I found the mid range on the FC unlistenable. However with a band, in a different room, running through an SWR Strawberry Blonde using the same preamp it sounds really quite good. I didn't even feel the need to EQ the midrange at all in that setting. As some have said, the FC tends to cut through the band and sound good in the mix. Now I just have to figure out if the reason I don't like it at my house is the Rumble 40, the different room, or the lack of the band. In any case, it's clear that the FC can sound quite good with the right tools surrounding it, as Max stated earlier.

On an unrelated note, I recently found out that the strings installed by the previous owner that came with my silent bass are Kolstein Heritage. I know it was shipped from the DC area, and since these are such unpopular strings relatively speaking I'm assuming that is Max's influence. Funny how one TB user who actually manages to seem happy enough with a piece of gear to "settle down" and stop looking for ways to change it can have such an influence on other players, myself included with the addition of the FC.