1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

YAMAHA EUB Megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Christopher, Oct 30, 2000.

1. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Curious if anyone has run a SLB thru a Roland keyboard amp and how it sounded.

thanks.

2. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Why so little chatter about the SLB300? In the original promo video, five pro bassists worked themselves up into a lather ("game- changer," "best bass ever," etc.) playing and talking about this bass -- and now, next to nothing on TB or anywhere else. Does anyone know if any of those artists -- Kenny Davis, Charlie Sabatino, Chris Minh Doky, Jim Weidner and Nathan East -- use the SLB300 as their main bass or their main travel bass? Has anyone here bought one? Tried one? Thanks.

3. ted burik

ted burik Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    I'm very interested in the SLB300 myself. There is some discussion of the SLB300 in these threads

The new Yamaha SLB300 Silent Bass sounds like a game changer
    Need electronics suggestions for this EUB(Yamaha SLB300)

BobDeRosa likes this.
  4. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Price ;)

danjocastro and Luigir like this.
  5. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    Same here. It's just too damn expensive for me to even thinking about it. It's similarly priced as the NS CR4 but for me is too much.

6. jazzyguitar

jazzyguitar

Aug 16, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Install of Full Circle on SLB200. Working well. Running through Acoustic Image Focus with Eden 10" 4 ohm and also Phil Jones Cub (can use both pickups with the two channels on the PJ). Finding need to turn Bass and Med way down to get appropriate EQ. I have some extra parts in case anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

maxito likes this.
  7. Which foot did you install your FC in? Oops, I see its on the bass side from the pics.

8. jazzyguitar

jazzyguitar

Aug 16, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Thinking of reversing the install (using E / A instead of D /G) and facing input toward bass side.

9. Ya, that may cut the lows a bit for you and aid in your EQ. Let me know how that works for you, I have one laying around I might try.

10. ted burik

ted burik Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    I've eagerly been following this thread for posts on the SLB300 and others here on TB and have done my research-I'm close to making a move to pick one up. For those of you who own or have played an SLB300, any other observations to share on the bass? Is the mic simulation continuing to deliver? Has the shorter battery life provided any challenges? Any other pros/cons worth mentioning? I realize that there hasn't been a ton of playing opportunities over the last 8 months but any additional info or impressions of the SLB300 would be more than welcome. Also going to post on the other SLB300 threads.

11. I just got my SLB300 to fulfill a need to play smaller environments for pandemic/space restrictions in restaurants. I use to take my Upton Brescian bass to this very small restaurant and it was a nightmare in keeping it safe. Now the marketing around this bass is very convincing and its tempting to see this as the solution to all our dreams. I have previous owned an Eminence and Kolstein smaller travel bass to get around taking my main bass out to hostile gigs and environments. I can sum this SLB300 bass up by saying that its like taking a decent Honda car to get you to your destination as opposed to a BMW, both will get you there but not in the same comfort. The SLB300 is not the end all bass of my gig dreams. The G and D strings lack the balance and power of the E and A string. The modeling is always mixed with the piezo and the sound gets very weak in the upper register. The action is high even with the adjusters low. The strings that came with it are too dull for jazz, I put my old spiros on it to get some punch. But at the end of the night nobody knows the difference, even my piano player. Packing up is a dream and it might be the whole deal here. I am still looking into tweaking the sound and action and at the end of the day happy I have this thing.

mikeGJ, tombowlus and ted burik like this.
  12. DougDog

DougDog

Sep 19, 2019

13. What sort of fasteners are you using to attach the output jack to your tailpiece? I am using zip ties now, but it rattles, and those things look perfect.

14. They are available from Jonas Lohse, Kontrabassatelier, in Germany.

DuluthDank likes this.
  15. I was about to buy two of them for my Silent Bass, until I got to the shipping costs (62 dollars to the USA!). I don't ship from Germany often, but doesn't that sound a bit high for a tiny bit of plastic? Strangely, the website has blanket shipping amounts per country and does not seem to take item size or weight into account. Maybe I'm going to have to think of another solution. It's a bummer, as those are exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  16. I'm having troubles with the endpin on my SLB200 slipping all the time. By this, i mean the pin skids against the ground and slides away from me. Anybody here have that problem and come to a good solution?

17. It isn‘t much better in the opposite direction. But it depends if you find the cheapest and most reasonable option.
    I would send a mail to Jonas and ask him for that case.

Sending a registered letter should be much cheaper than a packet. I did that once from Germany to Australia and the cost was reasonable and the allowed thickness would be large enough as far as I can remember.

DuluthDank likes this.
  18. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    Check to see if you have worn through the rubber cap on the endpin. You may need a new one. I use 1/2" leg tips made by MintCraft SKU #367-6984 and go through them fairly regularly.

DuluthDank likes this.
  19. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Boston
    That looks like them, yes.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021