Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha G50 guitar/midi converter and pickup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Does anybody have any experience using the Yamaha G50 midi converter and the bass pickup?

I'm looking to trigger multiple synths with my bass. I'm particulary concerned about tracking the lower bass notes. I'm using a six string tuned B, E, A, D, G, C.

Your comments please...

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have had the G50 and a MU100R for a couple of years...sitting on the shelf most of that time. The tracking delay is really annoying, not that it's any worse than other systems. On the lower strings it's really noticably slow. I find it does best if you mix in your bass with the synth sound to mask the delay a bit. Playing higher notes and octave shifting the synths instead works a bit better. But it all depends what you plan to do, slower stuff and synth pads work quite OK, just don't expect to play faster passages with any feeling, the tracking delay throws me off anyway.

I mainly use the G50 to input notes into a scoring program these days.

Don't get too put off by my comments though, for the money it's OK, but the laws of physics simply makes MIDI conversion perform poorly with low notes. Try it before buying.

For synth bass the Roland V-Bass was a revelation - zero delay - but it is not based on pitch to MIDI conversion.