Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha gets cloned!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Y'all know the Yamaha RBX series:
    http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha...ss_guitars/20_rbx_basses/30_RBX775/index.html
    Now,take a look here:
    http://www.washburn.com/products/basses/bantam.aspx
    The design similarities are stunning...aside the headstock's shape,Washburn cloned the RBX series in the same manner as in the Jerzy Drozd/Taurus issue.More,Washburn named the new series...BB!(it's just a momentary lack of inspiration or something else?):eyebrow:
    ***...looks like,as basses are concerned,Washburn doesn't go on "R&D dept." road,preferring to pick up a certain successful model of another brand and clone it?!?
    (...I'm not against Washburn at all,in fact I own a Taurus T24,but...come on,Washburn guys,can't you do any better?
    :rollno: )

2. Wow. That's the same concept as the JM2. Different pickups but same everything else. Even the knob layout. What the?

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Why those no good low down dirty rotten scoundrels. We auta start a hate thread. After all.....................................................................................
    What goes around comes around.:rolleyes:

4. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Not necessarily.At least,not in my intention.Frankly,I expected more creativity from the Wash crew,but...
    The Jerzy Drozd/Taurus theme was evoked several times on this BB but no one showed "hate" aimed towards Washburn.Why?Maybe because their axes are well built for what you pay.A little like those Behringer issues,don't you think?
    Alike,the Yammie RBX/JM-versus-Washburn BB looks like a useful comparison without any "hate" thing involved.For the end user,it might be useful a comparison between the two series (pros and cons on each side),wich was exactly my intention.
    Regards,

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I was kidding. Notice the sarcasm emoticon. Yamaha has done it's own cloning, hence the sarcasm.

6. maybe this is why nobody buys washburns. no imagination.

robb.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I thought it was because of the S***y tone they have...

8. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    I think that sucks.:scowl:

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I imagine a company as big as Yamaha could hire lawyers and sue US Music Corp and win the case.

Its pretty clear to me what Washburns intentions were.

10. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    To get sued? :confused:

I don't get it.:help:

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Just take a look at some of the Cort/Ibanez/Washburn/Samick/Yamaha basses and see how close they look.

Most of the import basses are made by someone like Samick (who BTW, produces most of the lower end stuff) and they indeed offer "models" that larger just "brand" or approve to put their name on.

It wouldn't suprise me if Yamaha didn't plan to market that model any/much longer and released the use of the design back to the original manufacturer, or as in the case with Dasiy Rock and Schecter, Schecter released a bunch of product to Dasiy Rock, to "brand".

Or it could be that Yamaha has more than enough stock to meet the demand this year and sold off some to Washburn, or the line wasn't selling as well with Yamaha and the same happened (dumped some to Washburn).

OR, Washburn are some sleazy guys and just copied it. Somehow I dought that is the case though.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They are not identical which would be the case if Yamaha had extra stock. They are just very similar and take a lot of the trademark features from the Yamaha.

As far as Washburn being sleazy guys that just copied it, look at their history.

Both Drozd and Marleux have had designs stolen from Washburn but have been unable to fight back because of the costs involved.

Some threads:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73610&highlight=washburn+copy

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62937&highlight=washburn+copy

13. Thanks for bringing this all to my attention...

now I have GAS for a Yammy RBX-375!!! (I already have it for a BB415)...now I'll need one of each...

as far as the Washburn bass...I wouldn't buy one...it's a WASHBURN....actually, I own a washburn acoustic guitar and I like it very much...but their basses just don't do it for me...besides...LOOK AT THOSE YAMMY PICKUPS!!!....HAWT!!!