1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha John Myung 6, piccolo, Sperzels, ABM, blk hdwr! Price reduced to $875 shipped!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Angus, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Price has been reduced to $875 shipped!

Hey guys,

I'm putting this up for sale as one of the first round of instruments I need to get rid of. I love this bass, and it's probably the instrument I own that is in the absolute best condition. Alas, though, I need to downsize the herd, and am looking for a higher end manufacturer into building a slightly shorter scale replacement.

As you can see, it's been modified a fair bit. It now has all black hardware- an ABM bridge, black knobs, Dunlop strap locks (installed; strap pins included in bag) and black Sperzel tuners. For the Sperzels, there are 3 bass sized and 3 guitar sized, which makes dealing with the thinner strings easier and further reduces weight.

With the combination of the very very lightweight sperzels (lighter than Hipshot ultralites!) and the ABM, the neck dive is completely gone and the bass is much better balanced. It also sounds much, much better with the ABM!!!

The other thing you might notice is that it is strung FULL piccolo, as in EADGBE- in the same octave as a guitar. It sounds like the clearest guitar you've EVER heard. It sounds a bit odd to hear a 34" guitar being played, but it sounds better than any guitar I've ever laid my hands on! The strings are .047 to .006.

For the faint of heart, I also have the original nut, so it can be converted back to regular B-C bass tuning (over an octave down from currently!) with ease. That will, of course, be included. The DGC strings all fit in the guitar tuners, obviously, as they are no thicker than guitar strings.

The bass looks (and basically is) absolutely brand new- again, I don't think I own a bass that looks as fresh as this. It sat NOS in a box in a warehouse for a while, and I'm the only owner.

Comes with a very tight hardshell case.

Price reduced to $825 shipped, strung any way you'd like with the appropriate nut (no cost).

Feel free to PM or email me at chrisweil@msn.com. Thanks!!

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If only I played 6'ers!!! This would be gone! BUMP!

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Edit: Mistakenly listed as 35" when in fact it is 34"- my mind keeps wanting to think it's 35" despite that I'd measured it as 34" when the bridge was installed! Thanks Double Agent! :)

Again, if not clear, I'll have a new nut made for ANY tuning you want if you purchase the bass, free of charge.

4. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Any chance you are going to be putting any of the Tobias basses I see hiding in behind the Zon up for sale?

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    There are two for sale- what are you looking for? :)

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That bass is beautiful...what is the weight?

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Not sure- I'll weigh it when I get a chance this weekend. It's definitely on the heavier side, but is very well balanced now.

8. Nakeem

Nakeem

Dec 24, 2006
    Correct me if I am wrong .. This bass I believe is 35inch scale and was measured 34 inch after installing the ABM bridge. What about the fret distance .? I didnt see any mod on the frets. ?:meh:

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, the bass is a 34" scale, and the bridge was installed accordingly. I just keep thinking it's a 35" scale for some reason, but in reality it's 34". The scale of the bass was not modified and the bridge is correctly installed.

10. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Hmm, I'd consider trading for a Tobias 5. Bolt-on or neck thru, but not the really cheap stuff ("Tobby" models). Which ones do you have for sale? Can you send me some pics?

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know this isn't about the Zon....but wow! Now that's a great looking bass! You're not selling that are you???

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Fretless_guy, I'll PM you right now.

Emjazz, haha, thanks! My Zon is definitely a keeper! It's a walnut/ebony/spalted bubinga body, and sounds like no other Zon I've ever heard. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it! Strangely enough, I'll be taking delivery of a unit to match fretless_guy's avatar, but in green!

That bass is still for sale! Make me an offer people! :)

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    My lord...that Zon sounds incredible!!! you don't have sound clips do you???

14. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Wow, this is awesome. Too bad I already own a JM2, and I'm the process of buying a bass on TB.

15. CTF6

CTF6

Mar 3, 2007
    Oklahoma City, OK.
    If this was a JM2 I'd have bought it already! Can't find any JM2's anywhere. Might Just have to settle for just a JM...

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bump! :)

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Price reduced to $825 shipped. That's a freaking steal, but I need to get this bass out of here.

PM me if interested!

18. PM'd!

19. Is your PM inbox full or something? My PMs don't seem to be getting through!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.