yamaha john myung 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, May 22, 2002.

1. anybody have any opinons on this bass? i've been looking for a good six to get started with and i loke the looks of this but i've not been able to play one as there's not a 6 string for 200 miles where i live
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Very narrow spacing. That seriously affected my opinion of the bass.
  3. that seems the be the general opinon of every one i talk to about this bass but a very rarely do and slapping (on a fretted bass anyway) so that's not really a big problem
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    wait for the new Myung Bass...
  5. that's another question i had what's going to be the diffrence between the old and new?
  6. Well, after I saw Dream Theater in concert, I couldn't HEAR John Myung....Buried in the mix....I'm guessing it plays and sounds good. I hate bad mixes...Like finally getting to hear the bass at a concert by the 3rd or 4th song.....
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It was too narrow for fingerstyle too (for me).
  8. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    I've played that bass yesterday... he's better than I thought, and the spacing IMDO is good. The problem were the ugly strings and the fact I'm a 4stringer ;)
  9. I don't know if the revamped model will be that different, but the one I played had an extraordinarily thick and somewhat uncomfotable body..
  10. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Own one of those things. As many had mentioned, the string spacing is too narrow. I converted it into a fretless and it plays fine. Except the stock pickups aren't really designed for fretless tones. Also, this is a pretty heavy bass, so workout some before taking it for a long gig...
  11. smashing

May 23, 2002
    I bet to differ... RBX 6JM is one of the lightest six string you will ever find... try Yamaha TRB-6PII for a change, and you will realise the difference.

My main axe is an RBX6JM, and it suited me nicely, as I don't slap and the small string spacing is wonderful when you do finger funkstyle.

And seriously, RBX6JM is really a value for money: a 6 string that is less than $1000 and comes with a wonderful ebony neck... what more can you ask?
  12. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    All the players I know say that the JM is only garbage... but I partially agree with you... I don't think it's worth its "new" price, but as an used bass it could be good.
  13. thanks for all the help guys
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I can think of two inexpensive and one mid priced 6 that are lighter. The Ibanez BTB406 and the SR406. And the Peavey Cirrus 6.

If I were looking at a 6 under $800, I would take the BTB over the JM in a heartbeat. Better tone, lighter weight, and wider string spacing. Of course, if I had more than $800, I would find a used Peavey Cirrus 6. It blows both Ibanez models and the JM off the planet.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wait wait wait, the JM is one of the lighest?!?! That thing is hugely heavy! The couple I've played have been well over 10 lbs! Granted, I like heavy basses, but to say is one of the lightest 6-string basses is suspicious, to say the least.
  16. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Can someone compare the string spacing on these to say a Carvin 6 string?
  17. Requiem

Feb 26, 2000
    Costa Rica
    Well to be honest I think that it is a good instrument, it ain't that heavy and if you think about the type of tone JM wants you to play on his bass (ala dream if you like) the body just offers a good rich tone and very easy to manevour. I have a red 5 string, which was my first, and I dont why, maybe cause I started gettin into DT a lot that I decided to buuy his bass, the tapping is really sweet if you know how to calibrate your neck and strings, and the tone...the tone rules, it is clean and very heavy for those progressive licks.

Well her name is "Isa" as in Isabel...and we just hit it off the moment I turned her on.

18. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm playing mine right now.I like it from a sound and playability perspective,but it does get heavy on your back for a whole gig.I almost bought another one 'cause mine is green and I always liked the red,and MF has them for $649.
  19. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    If you are into Rock, then you will enjoy this Bass.
    The strings are close together for speed purposes.
    This is not a Slap Bass. The new John Myung Bass will have a Massive Humbucker and more "designer" looks. It is a nice looking Bass if the Production model is the same as the Prototype. I like the sound of the Original when I heard him play it Live.
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It looks nice and has a very thin comfortable neck and body.
    I don't find any other nice thing in this instrument.
    It doesn't get through, so it doesn't make for a rock bass neither. Just listen to Myung on stage and you'll realize that you don't hear him most of the time.
    You can't slap it if you have regular or big fingers like mine. And I like narrow spacings.
    It weights a ton.
    Electronics are useless. You can't get a decent tone whatever the settings, and they don't bring versatility neither.
    Decent lows, but not thick enough to my taste.
    It really lacks low mediums, so it has no punch.
    High are either flat of ear tearing.

I definitely don't like it. Give me a BTB any day.