1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha John Myung bass > neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KimGT99, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Hi.
    I'm about to check out the early Yamaha RBX JM, there's a bargain around the corner, so what ;)
    My question: is the neck oiled or painted/varnished?
    Further: are there any known issues? I switched to 6 strings a month ago with an Ibanez SR506 which is quite ok, but I'm looking for a thicker neck.

2. Hi There,
    There is just a thin varnish on the back of the neck. Really quite smooth. The neck is a bit wider than the Ibanez and a bit thicker if I recall.
    They are really quite lovely basses I've had several in the past when they were going for "blowout" prices. They are very heavy though.
    Hope this helps,
    Brent

3. The neck on the RBX6JM is actually significantly thinner and narrower than the SR506 at the nut. As you move away from the nut the necks feel more alike.

Known issues:

Like the post above says, heavy as hell.
    Weak, bland sounding electronics, IMO. Didn't find the EQ particularly useful. Some people like it, though.
    Flame top looks cool from a distance but up close is obviously cheap veneer.
    Massive neck heel.

IMO the SR506 is a better bass and outstanding bang for the buck. Better tone, ergonomics and value than the RBX6JM. I personally prefer the neck on the RBX6JM, but that's about it.

Oh, and the inlay on the JM is really cool.

4. Scatterblak

Scatterblak

May 12, 2007
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Endorsing Artist for Low End bass guitars, DNA Amplification
    +1. I had one of the first runs of these, and it played ok, but it was awful to record with. I eventually opened the back to take a look at the electronics, and most of the components were just floating around in the cavity wrapped in a ball of black tape. I'd take a look inside before plunking any $ down, if I were you. If you're playing live prog, it's a great bass, but it's not the best choice for much else, IMHO.

Peace!

5. I've made it through a bunch of threads, and I must admit without trying it, I'm not too convinced...
    I will do fine with the weight and the shape, the electronics should not stand in my way either, but for it's tone itself... I'm used to Fender American Deluxe 5 Strings with ash body for now about 10 years, a pretty punchy tone. Now, i was asked to play bass in something in between symphony metal and prog. I bought the Ibanez SR506 to get used into 6 strings. It has a much more decent tone than the Fenders, but I was asked for this much more decent tone, so far so good. But when I read in a couple of threads the the JM has a nearly lifeless, sterile tone....this is something I could probably not get used to.
    BTW, the guy sells the 2 (the red and the blue) for about 1200 bucks, still with some negociating possible.... Gotta go for a try.:meh:
    Thx

6. I usually see them at $600-$700 on ebay, so $1200 for both wouldn't be too bad. You could probably sell them without taking a loss if they don't work out. Or you could upgrade the electronics on them.

But I still think you've already got a better bass in your SR506. I don't see what you hope to find in the Yamaha that the Ibanez doesn't already offer or exceed. What are you hoping to find in them that your SR lacks?

7. Mine didn't have this problem! Everything was nice and tidy on a PC board with little clip connectors. Good warning though.

8. @ IronSpatula

I'm obviously JM fan, I like the looks, although on this one most wouldn't agree, and most of all I need a serious backup live that works well for my playing. So for the recordings it would be the Ibanez anyway. I guess when this project will run more than a couple of months I will buy some fine done 6 string. But until then, I'll try to keep it at medium costs because I already own 6 basses (but all 5 and 4 string, just the SR506 is a 6)...
    And as you said, at this price I could resell them with maybe a small loss of bucks.

Greets!

9. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    Hi Kim,

I've been playing mine almost exclusively since '03, and except for the weight I don't really have any problems. The eq in mine works like a dream and I've never had any problems getting good sounds out of it when playing live through my amp or recording direct. I'll pm you a couple of links where you can hear what it sounds like. Greetz, Rick

10. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    BTW, if you're used to a 34" scale, the 35" will take a bit of getting used to.

11. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    When I bought my BTB I didn't even notice the change from 34" to 35" until I found out the change from posts on here.

12. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It is definitely the first version, the 6JM, and not the later JM2? The 6JM is often cited as the better instrument, with a more versatile tone (not to mention nicer finishes and fancy inlay). I have the JM2 (a second hand bargain like the one you've seen), which sounds ok and get's into Stingray territory quite nicely, but it's not a hugely versatile tone. Volume and 3 band fixed eq, no freq selection, no switching options.

The earlier 6JM has 2 soapbars with 3 band eq and pan so is a bit more versatile. Not to mention 35" scale as opposed to the later model's 34".

Either way, if the price is right it might still be worth purchasing. In the right market, they are sought after and you could make a profit if you decide you don't like it.

13. Fist let me state I am a huge John Myung/DT Fan. I met John back in 2004 and he was a super nice guy.

I forgot to mention I didn't have the preamp/eq issues others had I really enjoyed it actually. Just couldn't get used to the 35" scale and 6 strings, I have enough problems with 4 :) I tried again with the RBXJM2, again it just wasn't me. I too thought the first version was a prettier bass, but the plum pearl one I had was pretty neat looking in it's own right. Yamaha makes some fine basses, all were set up perfectly right out of the box.

Brent

14. I understand. I was a huge fan of JM and Dream Theater as a teenager, and that was a big part of why I bought one. That and it was the cheapest 6 I could find at the time, as the store was liquidating it for $700 brand new. After I got my Cirrus 6 it was my backup for a long time and was great for that.

Eventually, though, I wanted something that was versatile enough to hold its own, and something a bit different than the Cirrus. I liked the neck and looks of the JM so I franken-bassed it with pretty good results. It actually turned out to be a great modding platform.

Anyway, for what it is it's really not a bad bass. It really has its own unique tone IME, which definitely works for some people, JM included. But it just didn't really do it for me, and even with the EQ it just sounded like subtle variations of that one same tone. YMMV. ;)

15. So, tested the basses a couple of days ago. The sound is quite ok, the electronics are indeed a little lifeless but still ok. The neck shape and random playability are great. Unfortunately, the 2 basses have seen a lot of live action, so that I didn't buy 'em :rollno: