Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha John Myung & Music123?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancaldwell, Oct 30, 2001.

1. dancaldwell

dancaldwell

Aug 18, 2000
    Greetings all,

I've been looking for a quality 6-string for under $700.00 and I recently found the John Myung signature model Yamaha at http://www.music123.com for only $599.00!

Does anyone have any opinions of either Music123 or the John Myung Yamaha?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I don't know anything about the vendor, never dealt with them. I have never played that bass either, but if you do a search on 'myung signature', or things along that line, you'll find a lot of past discussion on it here. My overall impressions were that most people did not like them a whole lot.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I've heard only good things about the bass. I personally never cared for them as they look rather bulky. The infinity inlay is cool though.

4. The vender should be fine, though i belive MF sells it for the same price. As for the bass, i don't know from personal experience, but i have never heard one person on this board say a good word about it, only negative things about sound, weight, and spacing.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have played the JM model, and I am one of the detractors that MrFortuneCookie and Seamus is talking about.

Very heavy, string spacing is way to narrow, and the tone is kind of lifeless. I would make sure you play one before ordering it.

I would recommend spending $100 more and getting an Ibanez BTB406QM.

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    MF has them for $649.

I have the BTB, and in addition to that 8 string monster (see other topic), I also just bought the JM 6 string. I'll let you know how it compares to the BTB when I get it..

/me can't wait for this months Visa statement :eek:

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    i've only played the john myung for about 10 minutes, so I don't really have an opinion there... however, I did try and deal with music123, and I don't think I have ever been so disgusted. I ordered several items, they tell me that not all of it is in stock, and they would ship what they had. 3 weeks later, nothing. I call them up, they hadn't shipped anything. I get them to ship what they had, and when it finally gets here, it's the wrong stuff. I call them up, they tell me they will ship the right stuff with the rest of my stuff which is now in stock. we are at week 4 from the order, and I have nothing. I get a box from them, and it only has the new items, not the replacement. I call them up and get hung up on a couple of times before I can get anyone to help me. Finally, a manager tells me he will overnight the missing item to me. 2 more weeks before it gets here. By now I had already told everyone about music123. Sorry if it doesn' make too much sense, I am really tired.

P@

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I was shopping for a 6 earlier this year and tried the Yamaha JM signature bass. I thought it was awful for the same reasons that EMBEZZLER mentioned. I was fairly surprised by my reaction to this bass because I am a fan of Yamaha stuff in general, but after playing the JM 6 for about an hour and a half, I found myself completely underwhelmed. YMMV.

DURRL

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    DURRLECTRIC?! Crazy!!! What IS the world coming to...

dancaldwell, if you look around, you can find a Yamaha John Patitucci 6 for about $1000 used pretty easily.