Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha John Myung sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny BoomBoom, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    OK, I'm having a bit of a dilema!

I've got a couple of Fretless basses that I just ain't getting on well with! I wanted to try it and bought a MIM JAzz Fretless - figured I wouldn't lose a whole lot of money if my experiment didn't go well!

Also, picked up a Guild B-301 Fretless to go with my fretted one quite cheaply from ebay!

Anyway, I'm thinking about selling them both and getting a sixer! I seem to play better with frets!

I've realised that here and now, fretless ain't my thing - lots of reasons!

Anyway, I'm debating whether or not to go down the 6 string route, and the Yamaha John Myung sig seems to be an awful lot of bass for the money!

I haven't heard any Dream Theatre stuff, so I'm not particularly wanting to sound like him.

Anyone out there got anything to say about the Yamaha? Good or bad is fine! Also, any suggestions of suitable alternatives for a first 6 string? Please remember that in the UK we have a fairly limited selection without importing - so bargains in the US aren't quite as good once you figure in shipping and excise!

2. J.S.

J.S.

May 2, 2002
    Do a search, there are a few threads on it.

Haven't played one yet, but I will agree with most people that the RBXMJ has very tight string spacing.

And then there is this new model rumoured to be introduced at the summer NAMM. The Feb issue of Bass Player has a picture of it (err... them).

According to John Myung himself, the new model is lighter, has a rosewood fingerboard, a single pickup and *even tighter string spacing*

From the picture they have on the mag, the strings are so tight together, the bass almost looked like a guitar... :eek:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I think I saw one in one of the London shops - but the string spacing looked so tight I didn't even bother trying it!

Also it looked pretty cheap an nasty "in the flesh" - so pictures don't necessarily convey how "slabby" it is - it looks like somebody has just taken one piece of wood and not bothered to shape it at all, apart from the profile.

So I saw it hanging up next to a few TRBS and these looked so much better, that they really put this in the shade!

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    Sounds Live (www.soundslive.co.uk) have a red RMXJM in stock at the moment in the Newcastle store. Im sure you will get a good deal as it hasnt moved for the last few months

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    However, if you're happy with tight string spacing (which some people are, especially if they have smaller hands) then then I'd put it on the shortlist - Yamaha don't seem to know how to make bad instruments, but whether it's just average or actually good is a different matter. I personally prefer quite tight string spacing, it seems to help me skip strings more quickly and I appreciate the slimmer neck - but it's all very subjective.

Do you think the tone/playability is particularly worsened by the slab body? No? Really? What - you think that if they spent less money on shaping the body for improved aesthetics (and maybe slightly better ergonomics) they could lower the price or spend more on better wood/electronics? What a radical suggestion! Next you'll be telling me that Warrior basses with less ornate inlays cost less!

Alex

6. What is your price range? Also, would you consider a 2nd hand 6 string as there is quite a lot of choice out there?

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I guess I'm one of those people with smallish hands!

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I'm thinking in the region of the £500 - £600 range. The JM sig I was looking at was from www.Thomann.com and works out at £529 new (plus £15 shipping)

I'm still undecided........ but I reckon I should do something with the fretless basses, 'cos I'm not doing anything with them!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it has a big impact on how the bass feels to you - whether it is comfortable to play. And this can have a big impact on whether or not it suits you.

I just think there are far better basses out there and I would never get hung up on a particular price range. I would rather wait and save up a bit more for a bass that felt absolutely right rather than going for something cheaper which you regret and sell quickly.

It sounds like Johnny has done this a few times and every time you sell/part-exchange etc - you lose money!! :(

So I know, I've done this before - I was bying/selling stuff all though the 80s and it left me in big debt - I think it's a big mistake to think I've got £xxx - let's go and look for the most I can get for the money. You always end up selling/trading up and losing out.

Far better to decide exactly what you want, no compromise and then wait until you can afford it - or buy with something like interest-free credit.

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Johnny - the John Myung 6 string is the only Yamaha Bass I've ever played that I didn't like. That string spacing is really difficult (although I have largish hands), and the bass felt really stiff to play, and even to hold. Also, the pickups on the one I played had no, er....testicular fortitude to them at all compared to most other basses I played. When I first started shopping for a 6 string, I had hopes for the JM Sig. They were dashed the second I layed my hands on it.

Note: The above should be taken with the appropriate grain of salt, as it's only a subjective opinion.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thanks for all of the input guys! I have never managed to try one, and the way things are around Scotland, never likely to!

Maybe I'll just stick with the Spector 5s just now - and deal with the fretless basses that are of little use to me......and save the 6 stringers for some other time too!

Thanks all once again!

Crhis F - I like your description of it's *cough* distinct lack of sound!;) :D :D