Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha John Myung signature model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drop_D, Aug 4, 2001.

1. I´ve tried John Myung signature model, a 6 string RBX with a awsome infinity inlay. I liked it , although i have serious doubts about this model. Could some of you give me some advice. Is it good, really good, not that good?

2. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    A few Talkbassers don't like the JM for some reason or another, but I love it. I bought one and I have plans to buy another very soon. Sure a $4000 Pedulla or a $7000 dollar Conklin might be a better bass, but for the money, the JM is pretty badass. I've gotten nothing but compliments about it, and when I told my band members I was deciding between another JM and a more expensive 6 string, they demanded I get the JM. But, as always, you should judge it for yourself and make a decision based upon that judgement.

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I've had mine since February and it sounds and plays great.It's kind of heavy though so a good strap is de rigeur with this bass.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am one of the ones that don't like it.

The reasons are 1 - it's too heavy, 2 - it sounds bland to me, and most importantly 3 - the string spacing is way too narrow.

But check it out. If you like it, go for it.

Yamaha stuff is good for the price.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I played one about a month ago and I thought it wasn't bad at all. It is solidly built and I liked the feel. The sound wasn't incredible, but it was definitely not bad. IMO it's one of the better six strings that are available in its price range.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    still have to try one

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I played one in a local store. It sounded good to me. My only problem is one of consumer perception. If it's a keeper, or you don't care, it should do fine. If you may sell it some day, it looks very similar to Yamaha's cheaper line. If it looked like a TRB, I'd feel differently.

8. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Hold out for a TRB. One of the origionals, not the new line. The older ones were better quality and hold their value more. Sometimes you can find decent used ones for about $850.

I've got one and the sound is awsome but it has one too many strings for me.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I have played several, and to be honest don't really care for them, but that is just my OPINION. I found the string spacing to be way too narrow (and I've got smallish hands), even after going at one with a set of allen wrenches the playability of the bass wasn't too impressive, and the tone was a bit on the dull side for me even with a new set of strings.

More opinion: Depending on pricing, I firmly believe there are better deals available in the "near" price range. Number one on the list would be the Peavey Cirrus 6, no comparison. Even if you had to pay ~$500 more, it's a better value. If you can live with a 5 string that's passive....get ready.....you know it's coming....MTD Kingston 5. Sorry, can't help myself, but it's the best deal I've seen in a LONG time. :D It's certainly less expensive than the JM 6.

But, if you play one and dig it, it's a good bass for you, and that's what matters the most.