1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha John Patitucci Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gruuv, Mar 20, 2009.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Greetings all - for those in the know, is this tone representative of JP models on the whole? Obviously it sounds quite a bit different when he plays so, I wanted to check it out. (I know Debra kills it, so try to concentrate on the sick tone as much as the sick groove) ;).

JP1

JP2

JP3

:bassist:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Whats the difference between this and the TRB?

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    man - that bass looks HUGE on her...

Nice tone - not wild about her playing, but she's got some skills.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hey, it actually sounds good when she plays it! :bag:

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    That's definitely a tone available on that axe.

6. +1 I've played a couple of these and they seem VERY well made and have a good variety of tones. But man, that string spacing!!! I think it's 20mm and it's a six string. The necks on these make the Fodera 6 string neck seem small.

It's one of the few basses that I have trouble even playing, and I'm a big fan of full 19mm spacing on a 5. It's just a BIG feeling axe, if I have my models correct.

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's 19mm on the JP models...

8. Is there a 20mm model? I played a couple of Yamaha six strings (the ones with that 'carved out slap thing' in the lower part of the body below the neck pickup) that were just over the top huge feeling. Maybe 19mm on a six string is what felt so big to me, since most are less than that. I couldn't play the darn thing!

They sounded VERY good though and the construction was top notch IMO.

9. I used to have a trb-6P and did not mind the spacing wide spacing at all and I have really small hands. Something about the neck felt good. I somehow couldn't connect to the instrument and its tone although there is definitely nothing wrong with it. I'm not sure what the differences are between that bass and the JP model though.

10. As far as I know (so not much) the JP has neck through and a piezo bridge.
    Oh and most importantly JPs squiggle!

11. I can't tell for sure by looking at the site, but it looks like I did play the JP model, since that one seems to be the only one with that 'slap route' in the body.

I think the part of the reason it felt so big to me is the virtually flat radius board on that very big neck (40" radius). The combination of 6 strings, full traditional string spacing, 35" scale, 26 frets which brings that big board pretty far into the body, and virtually flat board radius really gives that bass a BIG feel.

Really nice though!

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I agree on the flat radius part.....makes it feel much bigger. Supposedly, my MTD and Smith have the same spacing. The MTD feels a lot more comfortable to me though. The Smith is pretty flat. I love the tone of the Smith though.

13. Not sure about the Smith, but the MTD635 is 18mm spacing, which is quite different than the full 19 when you multiply it out by all six strings!

I too love the sound of the Smith 6 string way up high. I miss that in Patitucci's electric tone these days.

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska

No, they have neither. Bolt neck, and no piezo.

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    is it really....different that is? I thought Mike T. told me his spacing and the Smith were the same.

John's tone- I agree. Just to brag a bit- I saw Chic's Electric band in concert, back in 1986. It was about their fifth show or something, touring after the album came out. It was also Frank Gimbale's first night on the gig.....after Scott Henderson got fired.

Edit- Sorry KJ...just saw that you said you weren't sure about the Smith spacing. Never mind. :)

16. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    There is actually one of the Yamaha Patitucci TRB bass on eBay right now.

17. my local music store is clearing one for $2100 CDN i am so tempted.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I guess I should quit complaining about how heavy my Q5 is. If a tiny player like her can wear a big, HEAVY bass like a JP6, I am a wimp.

19. Being from St. Louis, the Electrik Band was a big deal there when it hit with Weckl. I remember seeing the first tour (I think it was the first tour) with Henderson at Powell Symphony Hall with Al Dimeola as a solo opening act, and Wayne Shorter Quartet as the other opening act. That was something! The funniest part of it was when Al sat in the the band to do Spain as an encore. Henderson had this HUGE rack of stuff, and his guitar just sounded like a muddy, chorused mess all night. Al plugged a Les Paul directly into an old Princeton Reverb with a mic in front of it and it was just glorious:D

20. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    More than meets the eye. The body shape, obviously, is similar.

The wood construction of the body is more complex on the JP model - it has alder, ash, and maple in various layers, all visible. I believe the TRBs are ash with or without a maple top, depending on how old they are. My TRB is all ash with no top, and I think it's about a 1998.

The pickups are different. On the TRB models you get Yamaha soapbars, while the JP model has a split humbucking single coil thing only found in that bass. And, the preamp is specific to the JP.

The board on TRBs is rosewood, it's ebony on the JP model. With JP-specific mother of pearl inlays. I believe the spacing is 19mm.

Huge, heavy bass, and like all Yamahas, the parts are pretty much proprietary meaning that you can't easily use one as the baseline for a self-improvement project with aftermarket parts. But IMO, perhaps the best widely available mass-produced 6. A great sounding instrument, whether you like the twangy zingy roundwound tone he classically used (think "Sketchbook") or the mellower flatwound tone he's been using recently (think "Line By Line").