1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha Knob

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrbassmanjazz, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Drunken person fell on my guitar, (Yamaha BB3000), at a gig. I now have a wobbly volume pot and damaged knob.
    I haven't had so much as a crackle from this in 23 years and would like to replace with the same, (rather than some cheap rubbish).

    Yamaha don't seem to be much help. I have been trying to replace the 'C' spanner, (for tightening/locking the machine heads), that came with the guitar for some years now.

    Any ideas?
  2. 62bass


    Apr 3, 2005
    I doubt there is anything unique about the volume pot Yamaha uses. Just find one of the same physical size and electrical value and you can just wire it in and use the original knob. You can buy good quality pots as well as cheap ones.

    As for the spanner (I assume you're using the British term for wrench), I'd look around through some hardware stores and tool shops for a replacement. They're not something made for only Yamaha basses.

    It's too bad yamaha doesn't answer questions for you. A lot of big companies are equally bad. You'd probably have better luck through a local Yamaha dealer.
  3. Thank you. My suspicion was that they made their own, (as they make their own strings).
    Original parts must still be available as they still make the MA 'signature'.
    The 'C' Spanner/Wrench is only about 1 1/2" (4cm?) long and, again, I suspect specially made. Although, if I remember correctly, the heads are Schaller? (Or copies?). Maybe I should look there?

    (Unless you are buying a Piano - the local dealer looks at your as if you were something he had trodden on).
  4. I see the Yamaha knobs all the time at music shops. They're a couple of dollars each.
  5. 62bass


    Apr 3, 2005
    You might try a bicycle shop for the wrench. They have all sorts of wrenches and things.

    Of course, if you absolutely must have what originaly came with your bass, then you might have to get it from Yamaha somehow.

    Myself, I just use whatever tool I have in my toolbox that works. Usually an adjustable wrench for the nuts on the tuning pegs. For the truss rods, I have a set of various sized hex wrenches, metric and US size, and a set of nut drivers for the odd instrument, like a Gibson, that uses that.
  6. Thanks for all your help :)
  7. Did you manage to find a replacement knob?
  8. Not yet. It is usable - I may just learn to live with it.
  9. Check your PM.
  10. Just found a pic of the Yamaha BB3000 - is this what your bass looks like? The knobs are generic Yamaha knobs, not a problem sourcing them here. They may not come with the little pointers beneath the knobs but that may be part of the volume pot specific to the BB3000.

  11. That's mine exactly! I have searched the internet for these - Tried Yamaha knobs, etc. No joy. (I need the Pot too). I will keep looking.
    (SHould have said to my brother - he's just back from OZ)

Share This Page