Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha mod question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy all,

I'm thinking about modding my yamaha 765 with some EMG pickups.

i really like the sound of the stock pickups, but i've been getting addicted to that crunch that les claypool and other bassists get from there emgs.

anyways, i know les claypool uses EMG dc45s, but i havnt found any of these for sale on the net...

i did find some EMG 85s used for a good deal...but are pickups worth buying used?

and another question: can i use my existing yamaha preamp? or would i need to gut evreything in order to house the EMGs.

thanks for all input on this matter!

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have only bought one set of used pickups and they have worked great (SD SPB2). The seller failed to mention he wasn't including the plastic covers :mad: . If the seller has verifiable net references, I would feel comfortable buying used.

I believe with EMGs, because they are an active pickup with preamp built in, you should probably get the EMG pots and connections. :bag: I could be wrong. Someone else may have to explain the difference between the 45s and 85s.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You can get EMG DC45's here ( sort of :meh: )

Ya' gotta' call a toll-free number for prices, etc.

4. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    duane, or notduane rather..

thanks so much for that reply...great site for emgs!