1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha mod question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mandobass, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Howdy all,

I'm thinking about modding my yamaha 765 with some EMG pickups.

i really like the sound of the stock pickups, but i've been getting addicted to that crunch that les claypool and other bassists get from there emgs.

anyways, i know les claypool uses EMG dc45s, but i havnt found any of these for sale on the net...

i did find some EMG 85s used for a good deal...but are pickups worth buying used?

and another question: can i use my existing yamaha preamp? or would i need to gut evreything in order to house the EMGs.

thanks for all input on this matter!

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I have only bought one set of used pickups and they have worked great (SD SPB2). The seller failed to mention he wasn't including the plastic covers :mad: . If the seller has verifiable net references, I would feel comfortable buying used.

I believe with EMGs, because they are an active pickup with preamp built in, you should probably get the EMG pots and connections. :bag: I could be wrong. Someone else may have to explain the difference between the 45s and 85s.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You can get EMG DC45's here ( sort of :meh: )

Ya' gotta' call a toll-free number for prices, etc.

4. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    duane, or notduane rather..

thanks so much for that reply...great site for emgs!