1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

yamaha mystery bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r05c03, Oct 5, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay I have a question about a used bass that I almost purchased used from GC yesterday. It was a dusty olive drab grey-greenish yamaha with a really big head stock. The fret board inlays looked like red plastic ovals. On the tag the model number was something like 0131-- 621. The saleman said the bass was like 10 years old. While I was at the store I tried all the reveiw data bases that I could think of but could not find a similar model # my guess is that it is a BB 621.

It was being sold for $429, but I would have gotten it for less because of I found that the volume control for the bridge pick up or the bridge pick up did not work. I really dug this bass, it was supper punch and tight. I almost bought it but I leary because I could find no info on it and was not sure if it was worth trying to fix whatever was wrong with the bridge p.u. / volume.

At any rate I am hoping someone can tell me what this mystery bass is and tell me that I did not pass up a jewel in the rough. Thanks.

2. Going by the color and inlays, I would say it is an early BB1000MA Michael Anthony bass.

3. FederalFUNK

FederalFUNK

Jan 12, 2005
    red oval inlays... sounds exactly like a MA sig

BB series awsome bass

4. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I agree that it sounds like the Michael Anthony. Musicians Friend had a massive closeout on those basses a few years ago. They originally sold for upwards of $700 but the closeout price was below $500 new maybe even below $400. As always there may be a fair amount of play in the GC price - take a run at it if you are interested.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    BB1000MA

[​IMG]

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Right! And as I recall it was only the green finish basses they were selling for a song (guess the black ones were a hit). Now the only thing that doesn't make sense is the age. These Michael Anthony basses are only 2 or 3 years old, not 10. Is there more to this story? How about a couple of pictures?

r