yamaha mystery bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r05c03, Oct 5, 2005.

1. r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay I have a question about a used bass that I almost purchased used from GC yesterday. It was a dusty olive drab grey-greenish yamaha with a really big head stock. The fret board inlays looked like red plastic ovals. On the tag the model number was something like 0131-- 621. The saleman said the bass was like 10 years old. While I was at the store I tried all the reveiw data bases that I could think of but could not find a similar model # my guess is that it is a BB 621.

It was being sold for $429, but I would have gotten it for less because of I found that the volume control for the bridge pick up or the bridge pick up did not work. I really dug this bass, it was supper punch and tight. I almost bought it but I leary because I could find no info on it and was not sure if it was worth trying to fix whatever was wrong with the bridge p.u. / volume.

At any rate I am hoping someone can tell me what this mystery bass is and tell me that I did not pass up a jewel in the rough. Thanks.
  2. Going by the color and inlays, I would say it is an early BB1000MA Michael Anthony bass.
  3. FederalFUNK

Jan 12, 2005
    red oval inlays... sounds exactly like a MA sig

BB series awsome bass
  4. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I agree that it sounds like the Michael Anthony. Musicians Friend had a massive closeout on those basses a few years ago. They originally sold for upwards of $700 but the closeout price was below $500 new maybe even below $400. As always there may be a fair amount of play in the GC price - take a run at it if you are interested.
  5. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Right! And as I recall it was only the green finish basses they were selling for a song (guess the black ones were a hit). Now the only thing that doesn't make sense is the age. These Michael Anthony basses are only 2 or 3 years old, not 10. Is there more to this story? How about a couple of pictures?