1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha Nathan East Bass Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christov, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Today my Yamaha Nathan East bass arrived. After quick inspection of the carton I couldn't wait to see what awaited inside the cardboard box. The bass was shipped in a full hardshell case with two keylockable latches and a single hasp in the center. The interior of the case is very nice as well featuring a large storage compartment with a snap closure to keep its contents where they belong.
    My bass is the white finish model with gold hardware. The bass is a total beauty. Very simple and elegant in appearance. The bass has a 34" ebony fingerboard with block mother of pearl inlays. The 12th fret inlay reads "BB EAST". The bass is a neckthrough construction and has a wonderful feel to it. The tuners are gold with a white pearloid key which is quite beautiful. "Look mom, no fingerprints"!!! The tuners are butter smooth and appear to be very nice. The frets are fully polished and I can find no high frets or quality control issues for each of the 24 of them. The bridge is a bit odd. Each string has its own individual bridge that is adjustable for intonation and string height. The ball end of the strings is attached to the end of each of the bridges and this design will facilitate a quick change if necessary since it is not through the body. The bass features active electronics and has 2 Yamaha J style pickups. The controls are as follows: master volume, pan, bass, midrange, and treble. There is a separate switch to activate the midrange parametric equalizer. In bypass the controls are standard active 3 band eq. When the switch is used it allows a sweepable midrange hi Q effect to allow a boost on a VERY narrow frequency only. This allows for a lot of flexibility with this bass and it has the most wicked slap tone of any bass I have played.
    Battery access is quick and easy with the easy access battery door on the back of the bass. Power requirements are a single 9 volt battery. The output jack of the bass is odd also. There is a recessed area on the back of the bass and the output jack is actually facing upwards. I believe this is to prevent the bass from being unplugged if the cord is stepped on. Neat design, however it will take me a while to get used to it.
    For a player wanting a modern sounding bass this is a great choice. Fit, finish, tone, and playability are all top notch. The weight of the bass is just over 10 pounds. I think I am going to like this bass... I just have that feeling!!!
    DSC_0213.
    DSC_0211.
    DSC_0214.
    DSC_0212.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Classy.

3. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Certainly a very nice looking bass guitar! Congrats on the purchase. Now, go get some Fourplay albums and practice until you sound like Nathan himself.

4. No Doubt!! I have always admired Nathan as an entertainer, he is a true performer!!!!

5. Just beautiful, congrats! :)

6. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Thanks for the info.... again, enjoy the bass!!!!

7. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    Nice bass.

The jack placement is awesome.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a really nice looking bass. High end Yamahas are as nice as any basses you will see period. I hope it works well for you.:)

9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Christov, that is a beautiful bass :D

Is the string spacing 18mm or 19mm at the bridge? Also, I had those individual saddles on another bass and I found them to be quite cool ......

Very nice, man, very nice .... :cool:

10. Thank you. I measured the spacing at the bridge at 18mm. It does not feel quite as wide as my Alembic.

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Wow! That is sweet! actually one of the nicer basses I have seen....

love the look and the "little nicities" (spelling?) that I would not even thought of....how does the ebony board sound?

I really like the jack the way it is.....good thought on their part.

I have only played a few Yamahas at GC - but was very impressed...

12. The ebony board is bright as ebony is. The eq in this bass is incredible. I don't think there is too much I couldn't do with it.
    I am quite pleased!!!

13. i love the bb2004..main gas problem i've have for quite some time now.

yamaha.

14. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    Beautiful bass! That fingerboard is really something, very flat. I've had no experience with that kind of bridge (with individual saddles) but it must be awesome. Neck-thru construction is nice!

I use to have a Yamaha BB2k sometime ago and I'm missing it.

15. I have played several Yamahas over the years, but this is the first one I have owned. So far I am quite pleased.

16. Nice! Congrats dude :) Looks awesome, i love the jack placement.

17. Thanks.
    I think the jack placement will take me a while to get used to. I have never had a bass with one "there".

18. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Thats sweet, I see they've eliminated that deep cut-away on the back of the bass but it still bangs, watch out when you kick those piezos in!!!. Now just goe get the Yamaha NE-1 pedal and you got that deep punchy Nathanish thing happinin':D

19. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Sweet Bass! I have always wanted to try one. I love Nathan East and his smooth sound. What would you compare the sound of this bass to?

20. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    very nice - where did you get it and how much, if you don't mind sharing?