Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha Nathan East BBNE2 or Fender Jazz QMT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I have the older Yamaha Nathan East BBeast and really like the new features on the new Nathan East NE2 and was thinking of upgrading. I also like the new Fender Jazz QMT but was worried that the neck would be wider and I have short fingers. My only experience with 5string fenders is that I had tried playing a Fender Jazz V mexican and the neck felt like a baseball bat.

Has anyone tried either one? Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. go with the nathan east. it is a superb instrument. i dont have much experience with the fender, but i have played the nathan east many time, and it never ceases to amaze me.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Boy, that's a tough call. I don't think I'd swap my FMT for the BBNE2, but I'd have to say my Yamaha TRB P5II is a significantly better constructed bass. The BBNE2 is more expensive than the FMT, and it will show in the quality, I believe. It'll get down to what sound you're looking for. If you like Nathan's sound, the decision becomes very easy. They're both very versatile basses, but the Yammer is going to have a smoother, more focused tone (whatever the hell that means).

Bottom line, you'll like the quality and feel of the Yamaha. They're fine basses. I'd go for that.

4. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks for the comments! I'm leaning towards the QMT only because it'll be about 500 less, but I'm worried that the neck is wider than my BBeast. Does anyone know if the neck width of a QMT/FMT 5 the same as the standard 5.