Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha NE-1 Bass Parametric EQ Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Turock, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Anybody tried the Yamaha NE-1 Bass Parametric EQ Box? Thoughts or opinions? The price seems right at Musicians Friend. At $49.99, I might have to try one out.

2. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    I have one. At the time I got it all I had was a Squier and a Peavey basic 112. Needless to say, the Squier needed help and the NE-1 does improve the sound with that combo. Inaddition, I now have a G-K 800RB and Genz-Benz 2 x 10 and a very nice Carvin LB75 and do not use the NE-1. The NE-1 does a little more than one thing but I have not played around with it enought to find a use for it with my new rig. Unless your bass really needs help, I would not get one unless you can try it out and/or return it if it is not for you. Good luck.

Dennis

Edited - to add I have S-D bassline pups in the Squier

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I own several basses, some nice ones and some not-so-nice ones. I have the older 1 1/2 space Demeter preamp, and while all my basses sound great (even the not-so-nice ones) through it, the preamp doesn't have a lot of EQ options. Actually, I don't think I really need it, but I thought it might be nice to just have around.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have one and I use it all the time. Makes every bass I have sound better. I generally use it on the "shallow/3" setting. Well worth the money IMHO.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have one, and diddle with it occasionally. It's nice if you want to put a dip or a gash in your mids. I like "deep" "4", because that's what Nathan uses.

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I sometimes use Deep/4, and it sounds great, but normally use shallow/3 which sounds the same but not as deep a cut. If you look at the graph on the paperwork that comes with it, you will see that the mid cut on the shallow vs. deep is offset. In other words, to get the same frequencies cut you would use "4" on deep and "3" on shallow. That will give you the same basic sound, just the shallow isn't cut as much. I don't know why they don't "line up" the numbers, so "4" on deep would be the same frequencies as "4" on shallow. At any rate, I like it.

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Yamaha has come out with some new basses,the 5 string is called BB605,which have the NE-1 onboard in place of the mid knob.I checked one out the othe day and it's really cool to be able to preset the mid sound and kick it in or out with the switch next to it,plus the thing is like $399.

8. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bet it is nice. I have a Yamaha BBG5A 5 string (without the NE-1 onboard) and it is a really good bass. It is actually the only one of my basses that I don't use the NE-1 with, because with the EQ flat it sounds like it has the NE-1 Deep/4 sound already.