Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha NE-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 21, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have seen that a local shop at this parametric EQ for sale at 50$. i'd like to know if this can be used a DI for recording and for private practice with headphones. can you tell me more about the quality of this box? i have read the review on bass player a couple of months ago, i'd like to know more to decide if it is a good buy at 50$ new.
    thanks

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think that Michael Jewels uses one... Maybe a PM to him? I seem to recall a mention when I was glomming information on my Jack Casady bass. Can ya back me up on this Michael???

-robert

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I got mine for $30 at one of those GC blow-outs. $50 is still a very good price, if it does what you want. It's not really set up to be a DI. One 1/4-inch in, one 1/4-inch out. It's pretty good if you're fond of scooped tones (which I am) ala Nathan East. As pointed out in the BP review, it's essentially a semi-fully-parametric EQ. You have your choice of two bandwidths, deep and not-so-deep (or was it shallow?), and a variable frequency center. You can also set it "flat," which I suspect is a bypass. There's no numeric indication of the bandwith or center frequencies around the knobs ... just dots. Not even 1 - 10 numbers. So you just have to futz around with it 'til you get your tone. Overall, it's fun to diddle, but I can get pretty much any of its tones with the EQ on my WT-300. Which makes me wonder why Nathan needs one, since he usually plays through a WT-800.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No and no.

5. Hey Barroso, what's up? Munji and Brian R. stated the facts. But, as Rllefevb hinted, this thing sounds absolutely great. It's such a simple box, but, it makes any bass sound better. I don't fully understand the technical way it works, but, to put it in simple language, it takes the regular sound of your bass, and lets you micro fine tune it. When I use it with my Jack Casady, I get the basic sound I want ( bass, middle, treble) from the amp, then I plug in the NE-1, and it really lets me fine tune the sound. If I have the controls set for a smooth, mellow tone, the NE-1 makes it smoother. It will also work the opposite, and make your bass growl like an animal. As Munji said, you have to sit down with it for a few minutes, and play with it, and your amp. It's definitely worth $50.00. If you have the chance, I'd say buy it. On certain settings, I can almost make my Casady sound like an upright bass with frets. It's excellent.

Mike J.