Yamaha NE-1?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zanthrax, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Hello fellow bassplayers! =)

I currently own a Trace-Elliot 7-band EQ pedal that I use to "enhance" the sound of my crappy Peavey (nothing wrong with Peavey but my amp sucks big time, a Peavey Basic 60)... My two basses are a Yamaha BBG4S and a fretless Ibanez Silver Series (jazz-copy) and tonwise I like the "jazz-bass sound" (bridge jazz pickup, the famous "growl"), at least every recording that has the sound that I like seems to be a jazz-bass... First I must state that all my basses sounds 10 times better when played trough any other amplyfier therefore the need of extra EQ. Now to my question...

Would a Yamaha NE-1 get me closer to the tone I like? Please bugg me if I am beeing unclear...
  2. The best tone device I have ever used is the Tech 21 Sansamp, I own one, many of us here do.

The NE-1 is advertised as parametric, but it isnt. All it does is cut certain mid frequencies. It isn't as versitile.

Or you can get a new amp, then the problem is completely solved! :)
  3. I would gladly get the SansAmp BassDriver D.I. if I could afford it... Here in Sweden it has a list price of $300... Same thing about getting a new amplifier (this is what I really want), I can't afford it. As a student with only $660 a month in income it's not possible to buy anything with a price above $200 for a while... :mad:

The thing with the NE-1 is that I could probably get for around $40, if I get rid of my T-E EQ...
  4. Look for one used, and maybe look around for used amps as well, I got my Peavey TNT 150 *I dont really like it, Im not fond of 15 inch speakers* but its loud, and cost me $250.
  5. Used would be a great idea if you could find anything... I just did a search for some used stuff (just to give you an example) and found 1(!) used Sansamp Bass Driver. Price? $250 (and its has a list price of $300) and from what I've read a used Bass Driver cost around $125 in USA...

If someone from sweden reads this and knows were to find stuff, please give me the adress!
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I would suggest saving your $ and buying another amp. Buy used to save $.

I have the same TE eq pedal, I like mine a lot.

I would like to try the Yamaha NE-1, it's very cheap and Nathan has great tone.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The NE-1 is a bit one-dimensional. Listen to the group Fourplay. If you like that tone, the NE-1 may be to your liking.
  8. Tjaba,
    there are some online resources worth checking out if you're looking for used gear, all of which contain classified ads, GMF's "plank" is one, vendolin.com another, and Instrument Online a third, even though it's quite Stockholm-centric. Also, Musikermagasinet has a buy/sell space on their site. The only problem is that, since Sweden isn't that big of a country, the same ads tend to pop up on these sites simultaneously. There are also some stores with decent selections of used gear, like Jam and Musikbörsen, the latter has a searcable database with used gear on their site.
    But you probably knew all this already...
    Anyway, as a former owner of a Peavey Basic 60 all I can say is, buy a new amp! It's not a bad amp, really. It's solidly constructed and quite loud, but the sound leaves a lot to be desired.
  9. HI. The NE-1 has a very very limited sound, although the settings, set as per Bass Player Magazines suggestions are warm and full. It's not a bad little device, I've recently seen them selling new for under $50. I sold mine and bought a Dunlop 80 DI+. This thing in my opinion is even more versatile than the Sansamp. The Dunlop is well built and sells for less than the
    Sansamp and is far more versatile than the Yamaha NE-1 and/or the Sansamp. Take care.
  10. Yes, I knew those sites already... *sigh* The used market (for bassplayers) sucks here in Sweden... :mad:

I'm thinking of getting a new amp (I've got to do something!). Since my budget is limited, very limited, I think I'm gonna upgrade my sound only. In others words I'm gonna get rid of the Peavey and then buy another small combo (one who doesn't kill the natural tone of my bass completly). I'm thinking about Behringer Ultrabass 1200 (Musikbörsen sells it for a really attractive price), but thats another forum...
  11. Look at Ashdown stuff, I dunno how available it is in sweeden, but I've only heard great stuff from the combos, and they are pretty cheap too!
  12. It exists here in Sweden but... Listprice is $650 for the cheapest one and thats $250 more than the Behringer, although the Behringer is retail not list. If I had the money Ashdown would be a great alternative.