Yamaha NE1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tulkas, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Hey People.

I just purchased a Yamaha NE1 Equalizer. I haven't try it yet. I'm playing thru a Warwick Pro Fet IV (think they aren't made anymore) and a GL Jazz Bass, i have some little questions to put...

I'm looking to use the NE1 for a general warm and smooth sound, but should i connect him to direct input of the amp or thru the loop?

Do you (owners of NE1) use the Amp equalization + Equalization of NE1 or simple one of them?

Thanks, feedback aprecciated.

João. :bassist:

PS- Sorry this should be in the Equipament/Effects Forum. Some admin change please, didn't notice i put it in here.
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I don't have an external unit but just try both ways anyway.
    I do have a bb605 that has the ne-1 on board pre- and it's very powerful and tonally flexible.
    I vote for putting in front of the amp.
  3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I run mine bass -> Raven Labs MDB-1 -> NE-1 -> amp

All the best,

4. Tulkas, Let me know on msn how you like the NE1.;)

I remember I tried that NE1 through the FX loop and didnt like it much, didnt seem to do much, but right between the bass and amp, it sounded much better.
  5. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I was thinking about getting the NE-1, I have BB405 (passive)

and after some research it's "Bass>NE-1>Amp"
  6. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Are they still making the NE1? I thought they were discontinued. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

I always wanted to hear one of those.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

you can check out my input in Dimento's "Onboard" preamp experiment in the FAQ section. From recall it wasn't very versatile tonewise and essentially had a dark/ballsy setting and bright presence oriented setting. What it was was one of the best tone per dollar investments I've run across. MF sold them new for a while for $30 and last check used they were $50 (been a while) and I've seen them go in the $70.

I used it bass> NE-1>whatever

I've got a Sans DI and MXR M80 I'm going to throw into that thread whenever I get around to it but you're highly unlikely going to touch those for $50. The only one I've those I've ever seen for $50 I was going to buy and the guy backed out. They're usually $100 a pop or better. They're much more versatile both tonewise and as a multipurpose unit. I don't recall the NE-1 output being sufficient to run a power amp but it may have been. That review may say.
  8. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I love my NE-1. I have it on my pedal board becuase it's easier to make adjustments there.

I find the deep Q too much, so I have it taped to the "narrow Q". I have the level taped at something (I don't remember what.)

Most of the time I have the frequency on '4'. When I slap/pop I move the frequency on '4'.

My only complaint about this unit is there is no provision for an AC power adapter. The best work around for this is to buy a 9v wall-wart that has a 9v battery clip on the end. (I bought mine from Radio Shack.)
  9. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I thought the same thing when I got it. But I sold it with the same battery it came with when I bought it used. I didn't use it a lot but I used it enough to know it was real conservative on battery useage. The Sans and MXR would have probably gone through 4 or 5 batteries (maybe more) with the same amount of use I gave it. Don't know but I'd speculate it would last as long as an onboard preamp battery, 6-12 months.