Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha NE1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tulkas, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Hey People.

I just purchased a Yamaha NE1 Equalizer. I haven't try it yet. I'm playing thru a Warwick Pro Fet IV (think they aren't made anymore) and a GL Jazz Bass, i have some little questions to put...

I'm looking to use the NE1 for a general warm and smooth sound, but should i connect him to direct input of the amp or thru the loop?

Do you (owners of NE1) use the Amp equalization + Equalization of NE1 or simple one of them?

Thanks, feedback aprecciated.

João. :bassist:

PS- Sorry this should be in the Equipament/Effects Forum. Some admin change please, didn't notice i put it in here.

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I don't have an external unit but just try both ways anyway.
    I do have a bb605 that has the ne-1 on board pre- and it's very powerful and tonally flexible.
    I vote for putting in front of the amp.
    Bass>ne-1>amp.

3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I run mine bass -> Raven Labs MDB-1 -> NE-1 -> amp

All the best,

R

4. Tulkas, Let me know on msn how you like the NE1.;)

I remember I tried that NE1 through the FX loop and didnt like it much, didnt seem to do much, but right between the bass and amp, it sounded much better.

5. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I was thinking about getting the NE-1, I have BB405 (passive)

and after some research it's "Bass>NE-1>Amp"

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Are they still making the NE1? I thought they were discontinued. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

I always wanted to hear one of those.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you can check out my input in Dimento's "Onboard" preamp experiment in the FAQ section. From recall it wasn't very versatile tonewise and essentially had a dark/ballsy setting and bright presence oriented setting. What it was was one of the best tone per dollar investments I've run across. MF sold them new for a while for $30 and last check used they were $50 (been a while) and I've seen them go in the $70.

I used it bass> NE-1>whatever

I've got a Sans DI and MXR M80 I'm going to throw into that thread whenever I get around to it but you're highly unlikely going to touch those for $50. The only one I've those I've ever seen for $50 I was going to buy and the guy backed out. They're usually $100 a pop or better. They're much more versatile both tonewise and as a multipurpose unit. I don't recall the NE-1 output being sufficient to run a power amp but it may have been. That review may say.

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I love my NE-1. I have it on my pedal board becuase it's easier to make adjustments there.

I find the deep Q too much, so I have it taped to the "narrow Q". I have the level taped at something (I don't remember what.)

Most of the time I have the frequency on '4'. When I slap/pop I move the frequency on '4'.

My only complaint about this unit is there is no provision for an AC power adapter. The best work around for this is to buy a 9v wall-wart that has a 9v battery clip on the end. (I bought mine from Radio Shack.)

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I thought the same thing when I got it. But I sold it with the same battery it came with when I bought it used. I didn't use it a lot but I used it enough to know it was real conservative on battery useage. The Sans and MXR would have probably gone through 4 or 5 batteries (maybe more) with the same amount of use I gave it. Don't know but I'd speculate it would last as long as an onboard preamp battery, 6-12 months.