1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha Neck Tilt

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bobster, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've noticed that the "B-string" side of my TRB1005 is much more steeply angled than the "G-string" side.

I've attached a picture of this tilt and wonder if it's considered normal.

It's the only bass I've owned that does this. The bass plays well and intonation is good for the 12th and 24th.

Do I need to be concerned?

BTW, this is a 6-bolt neck and everything feels snug.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi Joshua,

I'm asking if I should be concerned about the fact that the B-string side of my neck appears to be angled back, and the G-string side is straight.

Does it need to be shimmed/pocket trimmed to even it out, or is it okay as is?

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Hi, Josh. It's been a while since I've been here but I wanted to say hi. So HI!:)

Bobster, if it plays good and the intonation is good, I wouldn't worry about it. Sort of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question either. Do you mean that the string is higher off the fingerboard at the nut end of the neck than it is at the bridge end? The B and E string are usually a bit higher than the G string because the larger strings need more room to vibrate.

If you are asking about the "tilt" of the neck; if the string heigth is OK at the bridge end, the tilt is probably OK.

4. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks pkr2,

I'm just concerned that both sides of the end of the neck aren't sitting at the same angle relative to the body. The neck looks level across the top, but it is sitting at an angle on B side and flat on the G side.

it's almost like either the bottom of the neck, or the pocket aren't cut level. I'd have to shim the b-string side of the neck pocket (toward the front edge of the body) to get the neck sitting level on that side.

Just wondered that slightly cockeyed seat is a problem.

Again, I'm not having any intonation or twist issues.

Thanks

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    YW, Bobster.

It' a remote possibility that tha neck poket may off just a smidge. It doesn't affect the playing or integrity of the bass. The bridge can more than compensate for it.

6. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    ok, that's good enough for me.

Thanks PKR2