Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yamaha NEW john myung!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Hey
    Has anyone seen/heard of the new John myung sig. Is it any good?!? I like the look of it from what i've seen but i'm a bit isolated from everything exotic ;) cos I live in Australia ;)
    Thanks
    Troy

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey Boof,

I was in Allans on Bourke St the other day and they have a John Myung sig model in there. It's a fairly hideous aquamarine colour but it played very nicely. I found the string spacing a bit tight for comfort but the fingerboard was like butter and it sounds very nice indeed.

HTH,

Ben

3. Hey Unharmed
    What kind of bass do you play? What do you reckon the string spacing was on it? Yeah, I agree the colour looks a bit grose on the website. Whos in your picture.
    Thanks
    Troy

4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I'm not sure on the spacing. It certainly felt a good deal narrower than the Ibanez BTB406 they have hanging next to it.
    I'm still currently playing my first bass: a J&D 4 string.....looks like a Spector clone. Like you, though I am suffering chronic G.A.S for a nice 6-string. Current top of my list (because I can't afford a JP Zia singlecut) is the Yamaha TRB6 John Pattitucci sig. They have two of the older models, second hand down at the Bass Centre in South Melbourne. I preferred them to the John Myung sig in terms of playability but the tone on the Myung seemed stronger.

The picture is just of a couple of silly geese: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121354&page=2

How about you?

5. Hey
    Ok, I've got some serious G.A.S. for an 8 string unpaired*DROOL* *DROOL* BASSLAB! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh :'( But I'm probably going to get a wish :O! WHAT DID I SAY! lol, na not sure.
    Thanks
    Troy

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Is their a 4 string one coming out too or something like that?

7. I think i remember John Turner saying he tried one at Namm, and wasnt impressed? Maybe he can shed some light if its true?

It does look cool.

8. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Yep.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Super tight string spacing on that bass.

10. I was atthe music store a week ago, and just when I left I saw one of those basses, I would have tried one, but I had to take my train :crying:

11. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    I tried it at the musikmesse last month, and i don t like it.
    it seems to sound like a musicman bass because of the humbucker, but this bass isn t confortable, quite heavy and strange to play.
    I hoped this model to be better than the first signature but it isnt.
    I think there is a miss of attention in the finish.

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Or, you know, has a differing opinion from yours. ;)

I'd love to say that I have played the JM2, but virtually every account that I've read hasn't been positive. It seems as if Yamaha took every factor that the buying public disliked (tight string spacing, weight) and increased those, while eliminating some of the positives (the colorful, if thin flamed veneer, replacing the ebony fretboard with rosewood, reducing the scale length from 35" to 34") and actually upgrading very little - namely the electronics.

If it works for JM himself that's all fine and good, but what the artist prefers and what the public will purchase are often two very different things. If this is indeed a "limited edition" bass, I'd believe it's because Yamaha knows there's not much of a market for it at it's price point. There's far too much competition that delivers better bang for the same or less bucks.

The odd thing is that I'm the owner of not one but two RBX775's which I love, and I'd consider the JM2 if not for the pricing and some of what I mentioned above (scale length and rosewood being the two main) - at $999 - $1200 list it would have a better shot, but with an MSRP of $1,649.99?!? They’re shooting for hardcore fans and the niche market of "tight string spacing fingerstyle players".

Mark wy words, this is going to be a MOAB... and the last "b" isn't "basses".